Marine Electronics

Marine electronics questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

No signal on a system that has been working.

Customer Question
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Marine Electronics
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/10/2011
Marine Electronics Expert: Josh C, Marine Electronics Installer replied 11 years ago
Josh C
Josh C, Marine Electronics Installer
Welcome to Justanswer!

What is the unit in question?
TracVision 4
Has the unit been sitting for some time? If so, was the boat dry-docked?
The sytem has been operable each day until this morning. Turned the system on and "Searching for satellite signal" error message appears on my TV. No signal issues prior to this morning. Power is on.
ok..Have you made sure the dish is turned on (the wall panel switch, not the reciever) if not, the dish will not aim and locate the satellite. Also, are you able to gain access to the dish, and remove the cover?
Dish is on. Dish is mounted in a difficult location, however, I can try to remove the cover.
Well, If it is very difficult to access, I wouldn'tbother - however - if someone can turn on the dish WHILE you are by it, you should be able to hear it attempting to aquire a signal... try that and let m eknow.
I removed the DIsh cover and when turning the system off and then back on again the dish does not seem to be attempting to locate a signal. It is overcast here will that make a difference. It has not in the past.
No, when you initially power the system up, the dish should rotate a full 360 degrees, reverse and return to the original position, go all the way down, then up, THEN it will lock into the strongest satellite.

I would recommend checking the dish for power (as it is powered seperately from the receiver) To do this you would have to remove the wall plate with the switch for the dish (located in the cabin)
The unitnhas power and the dish does not rotate. The information you have provided has not helped me at all.
Well, so far we have established that the dish is receiving power, as is the satellite receiver. We also know that the dish is not moving - the only possible reasons for this would be a failed Drive motor, Drive belt, Gyro, or RF detector board. Regardless, if the unit is powered up, but not searching for satellites on initial power up, then it has had a failure, and will need to be repaired.

There are more tests you could do, if you had the equipment to test the LNB, and drive motor.. but these are specialty tools usually only found in a satellite installation shop.

At this point I can only recommend taking the unit to be serviced, as it will require troubleshooting, testing and replacement parts.Well, so far we have established that the dish is receiving power, as is the satellite receiver. We also know that the dish is not moving - the only possible reasons for this would be a failed Drive motor, Drive belt, Gyro, or RF detector board. Regardless, if the unit is powered up, but not searching for satellites on initial power up, then it has had a failure, and will need to be repaired.

At this point I can only recommend taking the unit to be serviced, as it will require troubleshooting, testing and replacement parts.