Marine Electronics

Marine electronics questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have the Kenwood KTS-MP400MR radio installed in my boat andwe…

Customer Question
I have the Kenwood KTS-MP400MR...
I have the Kenwood KTS-MP400MR radio installed in my boat andwe are having problems with the sound through the speakers. They sound as if they have a lot of static in each speaker, even during use of a CD. Can you help?

Fred
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Marine Electronics
8/2/2010
Marine Electronics Expert: Josh C, Marine Electronics Installer replied 12 years ago
Josh C
Josh C, Marine Electronics Installer

Welcome Fred,

A few quick questions -

How long has the unit been in the boat?

How exposed is the unit to moisture such as splashes, and does it have a cover, or is it mounted in a cabin?

how old are the speakers?

Let me know!

Radio and speakers were installed at time of purchase (5 years) of the boat. They were working fine until a couple of weeks ago.
Radio has a cover but is exposed to weather and/or splashes.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Ok, if you feel like doing some simple troubleshooting, we should be able to nail down the problem.

I have been in this industry for 18 years now, and my gut tells me its one of three possible things:

#1 - shorted speaker wire in the boat somewhere - this will cause the sound you are describing.

#2 - Bad speaker with voice coil shorted - this will have the same effect

#3 - the unit itself may have corrosion inside it in the op-amp section, or the output - this would also cause the same sound.

Is this boat on salt or fresh water?

Would one speaker being damaged cause the same noice to be heard out of all speakers?
The boat is in fresh water only...
Is there anything that can be done if corrosion is within radio?

Yes, there is a possibility of one damaged speaker causing a short, and making the sound come from ALL speakers... The easiest way to pinpoint this would be to disconnect each speaker from the unit, then making sure none of the wires coming out of the unit are touching metal or each other - turn it on.

If you have a "known good" speaker that you can hook up to the stereo in the boat, now would be a great time... Using the Grey, and Grey/ Black wire coming out of the stereo, hook them to your test speaker...Is the sound clear? If so, the stereo is fine. If not, you more than likely will need to replace the unit.

If the stereo DID test good, then unhook the test speaker, and hook the boats speakers up - ONE BY ONE, until you hear the distortion - as an example, if you hook up 2 speakers, and it sounds fine, but distorts when you hook up #3, then #3 is your bad/shorted speaker.

Let me know what you find!

Josh C
Josh C, Marine Electronics Installer