Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My Mac book doesn’t accept my password, and ask for to be…

Customer Question
My Mac book doesn’t...

My Mac book doesn’t accept my password, and ask for to be unlocked, and enter a password ***** to unlock the disk?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

Today

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

All my other devices are working except this one.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Mac
6/21/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 25 days ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Do you happen to know if "FileVault" is on? If so, you may be able to do the following if your mac is asking for your recovery key.

If FileVault is turned on and you have a FileVault Recovery Key, you can use that key to reset your password.

1. At the login screen, keep entering a password ***** you see a message saying that you can reset your password ***** your Recovery Key. If you don't see the message after three attempts, FileVault isn't on.
  2. Click the arrow icon next to the message. The password ***** changes to a Recovery Key field.
  3. Enter your Recovery Key. Use uppercase characters, and include the hyphens.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions to create a new password, then click Reset Password ***** done.
  5. Determine whether to create a new login keychain.

If the above does not work or File Vault is not on here are a couple other options to try. Looks like a lot of information I know, but just go slow and only try one at a time. Let me know if you need help along the way.

Option #1- Single user mode

1. restart computer and hold the Command key (or the apple key for older keyboards) and the "S" key.

2. wait for terminal to show - this will look like a bunch of white text

3. you can release the keys you did in step 2 once you see the white text appear.

4. when the white text stops loading, type /sbin/mount -uaw

5. press enter

6. type rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

7. press enter

8. type reboot

9. press enter

This will let you create a new admin account when you reboot your computer. If this happens, don’t worry if you don’t see your normal desktop and files. Remember, you created a new admin user account so you will now need to do the following:

1. Click the apple

2. Click System Preferences

3. Users and Groups

4. Choose your old user account on the left side menu

5. Click the “change password” button on the right side menu.

Now you can sign out of your new admin account you had created temporarily and choose to sign into your old original user account and use the new password ***** have just created.

Option #2: Similar to option 1 but a little different

1. restart computer and hold the Command key (or the apple key for older keyboards) and the "s" key.

2. when the white text stops loading, enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin don’t worry if you don’t see your normal desktop and files. Remember, you created a new admin user account so you will now need to do the following:

1. Click the apple

2. Click System Preferences

3. Users and Groups

Option #3

1. Turn off your Mac (choose Apple > Shut Down).
  2. Press the power button while holding down Command and R. The Mac will boot into Recovery mode. When you see the load bar appear you can let go of the keys. It may take a few minutes to load.
  3. Choose Utilities > Terminal.
  4. Enter resetpassword (all one word, lowercase letters) and press Return
  5. Select the volume containing the account (normally this will be your Main hard drive).
  6. Choose the account to change with Select the User Account.
  7. Enter a new password ***** re-enter it into the password *****
  8. Enter a new password ***** related to the password.
  9. Click Save.
  10. A warning will appear that the password ***** changed, but not the Keychain Password. Click OK.
  11. Click Apple > Shut Down.

Now start up the Mac. You can login using the new password.

If you have any questions along the way, please let me know.

Please consider rating my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Please connect to my Mac
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
N/a of this works.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
When can you start.
Mac Support Specialist: Dustin, Mac Support Specialist replied 25 days ago
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist

you fix the issueWelcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

If you do not have n alternate admin account that you can log into - I wont be able to connect-Meaning you will have to go over this page

https://professional-secure.justanswer.com/chat/index/3511caeee9bc4362a3b60e8c059fad14

One of those methods will help you fix the issue-If you get stuck or run into any issues let me know

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Try, but they ask to request support to***@******.***
Mac Support Specialist: Dustin, Mac Support Specialist replied 24 days ago

My apologies accidentally sent the wrong link- here is the correct link

http://osxdaily.com/2017/01/31/reset-macos-password/

If you get stuck or run into any issues let me know

Dustin S.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Didn’t work, i Will stop by a Apple store to see If they can fix.

When you say it didnt work where did you get stuck

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
After i tipu resetpassword ***** scream show to ask for selectively voli me, selectively user accountant.......but,doent Let me type.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I just came from the Apple store and they fixed the problem.

Glad to hear the issue is fixed, let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you,

Dustin S