GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software
76665483

My wife sent me to the grocery store with a list of things

My wife sent me to the grocery store with a long list of things to get and when I got home she was on the phone with Alex Johns, definitely a guy from India and she allowed him access to her MacBook Air - Serial Number CO2PDHJHG941. It is an older laptop, and it had one of those rainbow circles spinning around for days. Alex wanted to sell us firewall protection for around $700. Is this a scam? Also, is there some way to have one of your IT guys go through her computer and clean it?
JA: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?
Customer: It has been a few years and we use the password ***** both computers.
JA: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it - I did shut her computer down and pulled the plug too.

Hi there! My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this trouble. It would be my pleasure to assist you. Please give me just a moment to review your question.

Please note: You may see offers for ADDITIONAL SERVICES that are automatically generated by the website. They are completely optional. Please feel free to ignore them.

No firewall protection should cost $700. Did this "Alex Johns" initiate the phone call to your wife? My instincts tell me that this is indeed a scam.

I can indeed perform a complete and thorough scan of your wife's computer to find and remove any malware, spyware, or virus that may have been installed. Or if you prefer I can provide detailed instructions so you can perform the scan and cleanup yourself. Please advise.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll need to open my wife's MacBook Air and somehow get you to remotely connect to it. Is that possible?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will turn her computer back on, but what do I do from there?

Yes, it is. You'll need to download and install TeamViewer on your wife's MAC using the link below:

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/mac/

Next scroll down until you see a rectangular green box labeled Download. Download and install Team Viewer. When installation has completed you should see an id and passscode on the screen. Please provide that and I will then be able to connect to you and work on this while you watch.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My wife's computer is now connected to the internet and ready for you to work your magic.

Please download and install TeamViewer on your wife's MAC using the link below:

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Her internet is open - are you there?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you need to call me and walk me through?

I can't connect until you download and install the TEAM VIEWER software and share the id and passcode from that software.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If you don’t call I’m shutting down both laptops.

Sir, you requested and paid for SECURE REMOTE ASSISTANCE, not a phone call. I have provided a link to the software that you need to download and install. Please let me know when you have the id and passcode so I can connect

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Computers are turned off and the phones too.

As you wish. I remain willing to help you if you should decide to follow instructions. I will also attach complete instructions for you here to thoroughly scan and clean your wife's computer on your own if you'd like.

I work a flexible schedule, which means that my schedule varies from day to day. You haven't responded in quite some time, so I am about to log off for a bit. If I am not online when you return, please let me know a good time for us to reconnect. Please be sure to specify the Time Zone. I will do my best to accommodate you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please cancel our visa charge as we don’t need your service. The Apple tech in Spokane fixed the computer.

As an independent contractor I don't have access to billing information but you can contact Customer Support via email at *****@******.*** or you can view options for contacting them by chat or phone at ww2.justanswer.com/help. Have a nice day!