Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I was trying to update my system to the os Sierra or

Customer Question
I was trying to...

I was trying to update my system to the os Sierra or whatever and the installation froze. I followed steps online that told me to turn off and back on the computer but at startup, there was a folder with a flashing question mark. I restarted my computer in recovery mode and now I don't have any options for a startup disk

Technician's Assistant: When was the last time you updated the Operating System (OS) on your Mac or device?

I'm not sure, I had already done one system update tonight before I started the second one

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

That's all I can think of for now

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mac
5/31/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 2 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question about macOS. I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Can you restart holding the option key?

If you would like remote support please select the Secure Remote Assistance option. If you do not want remote support please ignore the prompt.

what will restarting holding the option key do?
and what is remote assistance?

Just do it please.

not yet but maybe if we can't figure it out

Restart holding the option key.

I just tried that I am now trying to figure out what the password ***** this wifi network is. I have been here for months and only had to enter it once

Did you do that and then do more stuff after that? Because I want you to follow my guidance not do your own thing.

I restarted and now it says "choose network" i haven't clicked on anything yet

So you do not have options for which disk you want to start from?

no when I restart holding option it goes directly to "internet recovery" with a choose network option

go ahead and select that because we will have to do a reinstall.

I selected the internet recovery option and now I have a black screen with an apple logo and a progress bar
now I'm back to the "macOS Utilities" screen

Now reinstall.

select reinstall macOS?

yes

I did that and now it's back where I started plateauing at "about 30 mins remaining"
I'm assuming I should just let it run for as long as it takes?

yes

ok. judging from times you've encountered things like this in the past, do you think I will have lost a lot of data and stuff from my computer?

Not at all.

oh fantastic thank you. I think this might take a long while so I might go to sleep and let it install overnight
I selected this as my "free question" so is it ok if I log out whenever?