Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My 7S Phone won't download latest iOS11 update. Apple iphone…

Customer Question
My 7S Phone won't...

My 7S Phone won't download latest iOS11 update

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your smartphone?

Apple iphone 7, don't know what is the OS

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iPhone? What have you tried so far?

I have tried multiple times to download update and it seems the phone is searching but never start the download

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?

That is all I need for now

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Mac
5/31/2018
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Apple Consultant replied 22 days ago
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! I will work to provide accurate advice. Give me a minute to read your submission.

If Secure Remote Assistance is offered, please ignore it.

First, let’s attempt resolving this issue with your Apple device by trying a hard reset, then proceed from there if that does not resolve the problem:

press and hold the power button and the volume down button simultaneously for about 10 seconds, or until you see an Apple logo.

The next thing you should see after the Apple logo is the lock or home screen a few minutes later.

Now try updating via Settings > General > Software Update.

Please let me know the result.

Thanks,

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
That is what I've been trying, it don't work

Ok, next reset iOS settings. This will not remove any personal data but will reset iOS options back to current system defaults. You may have to re-enter passwords for Wi-Fi and other services.

On the device;

tap Settings

tap General

tap Reset

tap Reset All Settings

The device should eventually restart.

Test to see if the issue is resolved.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I just paid $40 to be told what I already know
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I am not paying anymore

I haven't asked you to pay anything.

However, what you may or may not know doesn't change the options available to troubleshoot. So, why don't we step back here and you tell me everything you've tried so far and the exact error if any you have seen.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Tried reset, still don't work

Ok and when the phone checks for the update, does it find it but can't download or does it never find the download to install?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
It find the update but the download button is not highlighted

What is your current battery charge?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Battery is fully charged, and phone is plugs in

Ok and how much storage space is still available on the device?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
113 gb

Ok, plenty there. How large does it show the download is for you and are you connected to wi-fi?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Update is 1.51gb
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I am connected to wifi

OK and is Wi-Fi Assist turned on or off in Settings > Cellular? Toggle it the opposite way from the state it's currently in. So if it's on, turn it off and then try updating.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Don't understand WiFi assist
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Ok toggle WiFi to off still don't work

It is an option that uses cellular data in conjunction with wi-fi in cases where the iPhone feels the wifi connection is subpar.

This setting can cause Software Update to refuse installation if it thinks the iPhone is relying on a cellular connection. It should be labeled as "Wi-Fi Assist" toward the bottom of the Settings > Cellular page and is often enabled.

Wi-Fi should remain ON. Only "Wi-Fi Assist" should be disabled.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Download and installed button highlighted but when I touched it the page freeze up

If it doesn't unfreeze quickly. Restart the iPhone once more and see if that then allows the update to complete.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Phone don't seems to be able to the update now.

Are you able to move closer to the Wi-Fi router or restart the router? The fact the iPhone was using Wi-Fi Assist leads me to believe it's having a problem getting a quality signal.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Still doing the same thing, download button highlighted, but freeze when I touch it

Do you have access to another wi-fi network entirely to test on?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
No

Ok, do you have access to a computer where you can use iTunes to attempt this update?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I have a ipad tablet, I already downloaded the update on it with no problem

What version of iOS is currently installed on this iPhone?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
10.2.1

Ok. When you press "Download and Install" does it immediately freeze or does it ask for your passcode and then freeze?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
It has done it both ways sometime it ask for pass code and freeze after put in, other times it freeze as soon as I touched the button

Has the iPhone ever been jailbroken?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Not familiar with the term jailbroken
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thanks for your time, don't look like we are making any headway.

Unfortunately not. I still think the fact Wi-Fi Assist was in use is a clue that the iPhone is having an issue with the Wi-Fi network in some way. If you don't have access to another network then an update via iTunes is probably your best bet.

Another alternative, if you are able to back up to iCloud, is to do that and then “Erase all content and settings”. Then try installing the update and restoring your data afterwards.