Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I get a circle with slash when i start up/ ran disk utility…

Customer Question
I get a circle...

I get a circle with slash when i start up/ ran disk utility and disk is fine. but cant start machine. tried to boot with option r evenytuallly tells me it cant reach the server

Technician's Assistant: When was the last time you updated the Operating System (OS) on your Apple device?

Dont know

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mac
5/30/2018
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Apple Consultant replied 2 months ago
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! I will work to provide accurate advice. Give me a minute to read your submission.

If Secure Remote Assistance is offered, please ignore it.

ok

Shutdown your Mac.

Restart and, immediately, press and hold the “OPTION” (or “Alt”) key at boot until the boot menu appears.

Does the "Macintosh HD" appear in the listing?

i see mac 0sx base systen and a choose network with arrrows
dont want secure remote assistance

Yes, as I said originally, just ignore offers of Remote Assistance.

Ok, when you ran Disk Utility, did you run it on "Macintosh HD"?

i did and it said it wqas ok
It aid it was oj

Alright. It sounds like the installation of macOS has become corrupted in some way and is no longer recognizable as a bootable system.

You should next try re-installing macOS from the Recovery partition.

Restart your Mac and, immediately, press and hold the COMMAND + R keys until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Wait for “macOS Utilities” menu to appear

If you’re not connected to the Internet, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu in the right corner of the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Select Reinstall MacOS, click Continue, and then follow the instructions.

Once the re-install is complete, you should *hopefully* be booted back into your normal user account.

i tried that several times. at mac os utilities i selected reinstall eventually it said it could not reach the server
i tried again i just get the circle/slash and a spinning wheel

Ok, restart and try holding COMMAND + R + OPTION and see if that gets anywhere.

ok will try that
this time it says starting internet recovery - may take a while

Ok, hopefully that will get you where you need to be.

brings ,me to the macosxutilities
do i select reinstalll again?

Yes, correct.

it tells me it willl check eligibility. then iu get an erroir oiccurred while preparing the installation . try running again, tried three times

Ok, how is the computer connected to the internet? Wi-Fi or wired?

wifi

Ok and what model of Mac is this?

macbook
pro
any advice?

Do you have the ability to try while connected via network wire?

I would try that next to eliminate the possibility of wi-fi connection quality on such a large download.

i just rebooted my router to make sure i wasnyt having issue there will plug in macbookpro now

Ok. Good luck!

dno good
that did not work according to disk verify i have 498 GB on my 500GB disk . could that be the problem? there isnt room to install?

Oh, yes that's exceedingly full and probably explains how macOS became corrupted as it has a tendency to overwrite itself if the hard drive runs out of room, unfortunately.

WHAT DO I DO

Do you have another Mac by chance? and if so, do both of your devices have FireWire or Thunderbolt ports?

I DO BUT NOT SURE WHAT FIREWIRE OR THunderbolt ports look like

Also, do you have an external drive?

i have external drives

OK that may be easier for you... do you have one with free space around the same size, or larger, than 500GB ?

ytes

Ok, try this;

Connect your external drive to the Mac.

Restart your Mac and, immediately, press and hold the COMMAND + R +OPTION keys again until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Choose Disk Utility

You should see your Macintosh HD volume plus the external drive you connected.

In the menu bar select File > New Image > Image from “Macintosh HD”

You'll want to choose to save this Image to the external drive.

Press Save and wait until it has completed.

Select "Macintosh HD from the list on the left if it isn't already selected, and then click the Erase tab.

From the Format pop-up menu, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled), type a name for your disk (usually Macintosh HD), and then click Erase.

After the disk has been erased, choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility in the menu bar at the top of the display.

Select Reinstall Mac OS X, click Continue, and then follow the instructions.

Once the re-install is complete, you will be asked to create a new user.

Once signed back in, you can open the Image you created on the external drive and you would need to copy back data you wish to return to the Mac.

You should not exceed using about 450GB of a 500GB drive.

when i select file/new the options are blank disk image or disk image from folder

Select "Macintosh HD" and then try again.

under file i see new window, new, open disk image, get into, unlock macintosh hd, change password, turn off encryption

Select "Macintosh HD from the list on the left side of the main Disk Utility window.

Then, in the menu bar select File > New Image > Image from “Macintosh HD”

i did that but do not get the same choices. under file. there is no - file new image

Ok, do you know what version of macOS you have installed?

lion

Ok. Is the external drive empty?

no

Ok, Lion is quite old and has an alternative method but it will require an empty external drive.

Once you have the empty drive, return back to Disk Utility;

• Click on the tab, ‘Erase’.
  • On the left side, select the external drive, which you want as your backup (destination) drive.
  • From the ‘Format’ drop down select the format type as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Click the ‘Erase’ button.
  • From Disk Utility main window, click the ‘Restore’ tab.
  • select the "Macintosh HD" drive to be cloned by dragging it to the ‘Source’ entry field.
  • Similarly, from the left pane select the external drive and drag it to the ‘Destination’ entry field.
  • Now, click the ‘Restore’ button.