Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I think I might have been hacked today. My computer, iPad…

Customer Question
I think I might...

I think I might have been hacked today. My computer, iPad and apple phone were frozen and a number popped up and said to unlock my devices to call that number which I did as it said it was apple support. Well $1500 later spent on iTunes gift cards I have no confirmation email. I was told my money would be credited back to my credit card. Anyway I.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

I’m a wreck.

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

It’s been a long time. No. I’m not very computer savvy

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

My niece said I need to contact police, alert my credit card and change my password. Made my very nervous.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mac
5/30/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 2 months ago
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro

Hi! I'm Eric, a Mac expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

Is there a fee for you to do that?

I regret your niece is correct...you've been victimized by scammers. Unfortunately, the message you saw was fraudulent, and the folks you contacted were not a legitimate support organization. You can read more about this sort of scam (and file a complaint with the FBI) here: https://www.ic3.gov/media/2016/160602.aspx

You will want to contact your financial institution (if you haven't already) to dispute the charges on your credit card. If you provided access to your computer to the scammers, you will want to change ALL of your passwords...to your computer, and to any accounts you have on various websites -- it will have all been compromised.

Prior to this, were you having other issues with your devices that we could help fix?

Is there a problem?

I apologize...I feel like I must have missed a message from you. Did you receive my first note, and inquiry re: whether there were issues that existed with your devices prior to the scammers contacting you? Let me know what we can help you fix, and we'll help get it done!

I can’t identify anything in particular but it is quirky. Sometimes sluggish , sometimes had to turn off and reboot.

Is your computer a Mac, or a PC?

What is the answer to the original reason I messaged

You originally messaged about the scam that victimized you, and I concurred with your niece's opinion. Subsequently you indicated that your computer sometimes acts quirky, and I've asked whether your computer is a Mac or a PC (since they are built very differently, the causes of odd behavior can be very different, hence my asking). Please let me know, and we can continue from there!

MacBook Pro

There are lots of things in macOS that can impact your computer's performance, from excessive downloaded mail, to an out-of-control cache, to viruses. To keep things running their best, ***** ***** downloaded and periodically running MacPaw's CleanMyMac application. You can download it here: https://dl.devmate.com/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac3/CleanMyMac3.dmg?cid=611529836.1527650436&usr_pr=1

To protect against viruses, you'll just want to make sure to install a good antivirus program. Are you using one currently?

I’m tired. It’s been a long tiring stressful day. I’ll work on this tomorrow.

I understand. Please come back when you're ready to my.justanswer.com to pick right back up where we're leaving off.