Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I've forgotten my password. A MAC Air Pro? If I know LOL!

Customer Question
I've forgotten my password ...

I've forgotten my password

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

A MAC Air Pro?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Mac?

Hell if I know LOL! No, I think it's Apple. Does that make sense?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Mac? What have you tried so far?

I had been really sick ill, and hadn't used the MAC for a long time (> than 6 mos.)

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No, I just keep forgetting the password...Any help is appreciated.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mac
5/29/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 2 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

If you mean that you can not sign into your actual mac computer user account in order to even use your computer, then there are a couple different options to try to fix your issue. The instructions to do so may look overwhelming but please take it slow and try one option at a time. Let me know if you have any questions along the way. If you finish and you are successful, please consider rating my services with the stars next to my name. If not, please let me know what happened and I can further assist.

Here are the options to bypass your mac password.

Option #1- Single user mode

1. restart computer and hold the Command key (or the apple key for older keyboards) and the "S" key.

2. wait for terminal to show - this will look like a bunch of white text

3. you can release the keys you did in step 2 once you see the white text appear.

4. when the white text stops loading, type /sbin/mount -uaw

5. press enter

6. type rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

7. press enter

8. type reboot

9. press enter

This will let you create a new admin account when you reboot your computer. If this happens, don’t worry if you don’t see your normal desktop and files. Remember, you created a new admin user account so you will now need to do the following:

1. Click the apple

2. Click System Preferences

3. Users and Groups

4. Choose your old user account on the left side menu

5. Click the “change password” button on the right side menu.

Now you can sign out of your new admin account you had created temporarily and choose to sign into your old original user account and use the new password ***** have just created.

Option #2: Similar to option 1 but a little different

1. restart computer and hold the Command key (or the apple key for older keyboards) and the "s" key.

2. when the white text stops loading, enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin don’t worry if you don’t see your normal desktop and files. Remember, you created a new admin user account so you will now need to do the following:

1. Click the apple

2. Click System Preferences

3. Users and Groups

Option #3

1. Turn off your Mac (choose Apple > Shut Down).
  2. Press the power button while holding down Command and R. The Mac will boot into Recovery mode. When you see the load bar appear you can let go of the keys. It may take a few minutes to load.
  3. Choose Utilities > Terminal.
  4. Enter resetpassword (all one word, lowercase letters) and press Return
  5. Select the volume containing the account (normally this will be your Main hard drive).
  6. Choose the account to change with Select the User Account.
  7. Enter a new password ***** re-enter it into the password *****
  8. Enter a new password ***** related to the password.
  9. Click Save.
  10. A warning will appear that the password ***** changed, but not the Keychain Password. Click OK.
  11. Click Apple > Shut Down.

Now start up the Mac. You can login using the new password.