Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have an apple phone an apple tablet and now my grandson…

Customer Question
I have an apple...

I have an apple phone an apple tablet and now my grandson has given me an apple computer and I tried to get it started but it says not available at this time

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your?

Well not being computer savvy it just said os?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Apple device? What have you tried so far?

Just trying to get it open and I put my password ***** and it said not available at this time

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Mac
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I have tried again and it said this item is temporarily unavailable
5/29/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 25 days ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.​

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
It is OS X Yosemite

OK so just so I understand correctly, you received a new Apple computer but can not sign in because you do not know the password, is this correct? However, normally when you're trying to sign into a Mac computer user account it does not give you the error that you have mentioned which is " not available at this time".

Are you sure it is the password ***** signing into your apple computer that you need or is it something else you are trying to sign into like the app store? Also, are you sure its an apple computer and not an iPad?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I have an I pad but this is a secondhand laptop
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
What now

Are you able to sign into the computer that has this problem though? If you are able to sign in then I can remote assist. If the problem is you can't sign in then I will not be able to connect.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Well the reason I got in touch was because I can’t sign in

OK then I will not be able to remote assist by connecting to your computer so I will need to supply you with some options to try to fix your issue. Only try one at a time as these instructions look hard but they really are not if you go slow and ask questions if needed along the way.

Option #1- Single user mode

1. restart computer and hold the Command key (or the apple key for older keyboards) and the "S" key.

2. wait for terminal to show - this will look like a bunch of white text

3. you can release the keys you did in step 2 once you see the white text appear.

4. when the white text stops loading, type /sbin/mount -uaw

5. press enter

6. type rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

7. press enter

8. type reboot

9. press enter

This will let you create a new admin account when you reboot your computer. If this happens, don’t worry if you don’t see your normal desktop and files. Remember, you created a new admin user account so you will now need to do the following:

1. Click the apple

2. Click System Preferences

3. Users and Groups

4. Choose your old user account on the left side menu

5. Click the “change password” button on the right side menu.

Now you can sign out of your new admin account you had created temporarily and choose to sign into your old original user account and use the new password ***** have just created.

Option #2: Similar to option 1 but a little different

1. restart computer and hold the Command key (or the apple key for older keyboards) and the "s" key.

2. when the white text stops loading, enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin don’t worry if you don’t see your normal desktop and files. Remember, you created a new admin user account so you will now need to do the following:

1. Click the apple

2. Click System Preferences

3. Users and Groups

Option #3

1. Turn off your Mac (choose Apple > Shut Down).
  2. Press the power button while holding down Command and R. The Mac will boot into Recovery mode. When you see the load bar appear you can let go of the keys. It may take a few minutes to load.
  3. Choose Utilities > Terminal.
  4. Enter resetpassword (all one word, lowercase letters) and press Return
  5. Select the volume containing the account (normally this will be your Main hard drive).
  6. Choose the account to change with Select the User Account.
  7. Enter a new password ***** re-enter it into the password *****
  8. Enter a new password ***** related to the password.
  9. Click Save.
  10. A warning will appear that the password ***** changed, but not the Keychain Password. Click OK.
  11. Click Apple > Shut Down.

Now start up the Mac. You can login using the new password.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
If you read my original question is that I can’t open the thing

The mac computer powers on correct?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Where is the Command key or apple key

Well, if you have an apple keyboard, the command or apple button is to the left of the spacebar

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Can’t get passed OS X Yosemite install

Wait, why are you installing OSX Yosemite? I thought you already had the OS installed you just could not sign in?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No that’s how I thought it had to start
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
This is an apple computer. I just turned it on obviously my grandson wiped it clean and I want to start using it. HOW
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I’ve already paid for remote assistance

OK if your grandson wiped it clean already, let's go screen by screen. Please let me know what screen you see so I can help you. I declined your remote service request so you are not being charged for that as it will not go through.