Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have MicroSoft Office for Mac 2011. I am buying a new

Customer Question
I have MicroSoft Office...

I have MicroSoft Office for Mac 2011. I am buying a new iMac. Is the newer version of MicroSoft Office 2018 compatible with my "older" 2011 version?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update your Microsoft software?

I am not sure, but ever time I receive notifications of any updates for my iMac, I update them and I check monthly to see if any new updates to any programs or apps are available.

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Mac
5/29/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 21 days ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

If the new Mac comes with macOS 10.13 which is very likely, then the Office 2011 may not work properly on your new Mac. The Office 2011 is not officially supported on latest macOS, that doesn't mean it won't work. It works but may have some issues like freezing, crashing etc as it is not officially updated to work with latest macOS.

It is better you buy an upgrade to Office 2016/365 which is the latest version.

Also, your new Mac comes with Pages, Numbers, and Keynote which are alternate to Word, Excel and Power Point. So, you can use them instead of Office as well if you don't want to purchase Office 2016. Pages, Keynote and Numbers does support office documents and files.

If you prefer to buy Office 2016, you can buy it from here --> https://products.office.com/en-us/mac/microsoft-office-for-mac

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead of rating, please let me know by replying in here and I will stay with you and try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.