Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I put in my passcode and it immediately goes to a screen…

Customer Question
I put in my...

I put in my passcode and it immediately goes to a screen that says it will take a few minutes to activate my device. the another screen comes on and says it could not activate for one reason or another . this has been going on for awhile. I do not know what to do.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

Probably, 3 or 4 months ago.

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

I do not know if I have one.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I do not think so.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mac
5/29/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 2 months ago
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro

Hi! I'm Eric, a Mac expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

Have you recently changed mobile carriers?

No
I cannot at this time, I am on diasblity and only get paid once a month.
I do not just have Wi-Fi , I also have cellular service with at&t.
Are you even there?

I'm here! Can you tell me what the message says when the activation fails?

I cannot do the remote at this time as i am on disability and only get paid once a month.

That's no problem at all! If you see any additional such offers, please ignore them -- they are being auto-generated from our system and are not relevant to the work we need to do here.

Can you tell me what the message says when the activation fails?

OK, what do we need to do... oh by the way, I do not just have WI-FI... I have cellular with AT & T.

I understand. To continue, I'll just need to know the exact text of the error you're seeing so we can figure out what's blocking device activation.

If you are responding to me... I donot see anything on my computer.
ok, after I enter my pass code, I get a new screen, which says It may take a few minutes to activate your iPad.

Gotcha. What is the message you see after activation fails?

Then I get another screen that sayayour iPad could not be activated because the activationserver is temporaily unavailable.

I see. Do you own a PC or Mac computer that we could connect this iPad to in order to fix the problem?

I have a desktop.

Great! Using your desktop computer, we can attempt activation using iTunes. Do you know if iTunes is already installed on the desktop?

If you need it, iTunes can be downloaded (for free) here: https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

No, it is not

That's OK. On your desktop, please download and install iTunes (for free) from this website: https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Ok I installed iTunes ,then I connect my iPad to the decktop. it gave me a list of choices... yet I did not know which to pick
  1. Connect your iPad to your computer and backup your data locally or through iCloud.
  2. Disconnect the iPad after the backup is complete.
  3. Press down the Home and Power button of the iPad at the same time and then release just the Power button after the device restarts.
  4. You will be asked to connect your iPad to your computer using the USB cable again.
  5. An option will appear that asks if you want to restore the device and upgrade to iOS 9.3.
  6. As iOS 9.3 downloads, the error message will appear again -- but you still need to wait until iOS 9.3 is done.
  7. After iOS 9.3 is done downloading, you will need to repeat step 4. This time your iPad will ask if you want to restore it.
  8. Once the restore is finished, you will be asked to select whether you want to activate the iPad as a "new" device or if you want to restore it from your last backup. Selecting the new iPad option will format your iPad so it is like new and restoring it will retrieve your data again.
Where is the home button

The home button is the circular button in the bottom-center of the front of your iPad.

OK
Can I print those instructions.

Of course! You can either print it out directly from the webpage, or copy-and-paste the text into your word processing program and print from there.