Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Regarding Grindr, I have successfully restored chats from a…

Customer Question
Regarding Grindr, I have successfully...
Regarding Grindr, I have successfully restored chats from a previous iTunes backup onto my iPhone 6S after wiping/resetting the phone. I recently bought an iPhone X and am trying to restore my most recent backup of my iPhone 6S to it via iCloud backup, but Grindr is asking me to log in again. Two questions: (1) If I login on my new phone, will the chats be there still? I am not seeing them included in the most recent iCloud backup. (2) Is there possibly a difference here between the iTunes backup (which, per my understanding, is basically a snapshot of the entire iPhone), and an iCloud backup, which only backs up certain data? I thought that I had selected Grindr app data to be backed up to iCloud also, but I am not seeing it in the app on my new iPhone X after restoring it from iCloud (as I mentioned above, it is showing me the login screen instead). Thanks!
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mac
5/28/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 2 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer.com! I am Justin. I am sorry for the length of time you have been waiting. With that in mind are you still in need of assistance?

If you would like remote support please select the Secure Remote Assistance option. If you do not want remote support please ignore the prompt.

I would still appreciate any assistance you can provide. Thanks!
I don't think remote assistance would be helpful in this case

Remote request sent.

I specified that I did not think remote assistance would be helpful here - I am just trying to understand the issue so that I can update my new iPhone on my own. Thanks!

I believe the chats are device specific for privacy.iTunes and iCloud backup are not any different.

I was able to figure it out on my own - the chats can be restored with an iTunes backup, but not with an iCloud backup. Also many other apps on my phone had their app data restored with the iTunes backup than with the iCloud backup, as I suspected.