Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My MacBook is taking a time to to fill in the black line and…

Customer Question
My MacBook is taking...

My MacBook is taking a long time to to fill in the black line and then does not move forward into starting

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a PRAM reset on your MacBook (rebooting and holding down Command, Option, P, and R)? Or rebooting in Recovery Mode (holding down Command and R)?

I could not remember the sequence - I'll try rebooting in recovery mode and the reset. Do I have to wait until the gray line is filled with black?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No, that's it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mac
5/28/2018
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Apple Consultant replied 2 months ago
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! I will work to provide accurate advice. Give me a minute to read your submission.

If Secure Remote Assistance is offered, please ignore it.

Restart your Mac

As soon as soon as it restarts, quickly press and hold the SHIFT key

Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the Desktop (it may take longer than usual so please be patient).

See if it will make it to the Desktop or sign-in screen. If it does, restart and allow it to boot normally.

Then let me know the results.

Okay - previous help gave me a sequence of commands. Right now the black line is completed but no break through into start up

Hold off on those other commands for a moment. Give it a few more minutes to see if it will finish booting. Many times slow booting times like this are related to disk issues or corrupted cache files.

Okay I did the shift key and the progress indicator is proceeding at the same very slow pace. It's about 2/3 now and this is the very slow part of the process. Once it fills in with black, then nothing happens.

Ok, see if you get a different result since you've held the Shift key down. What this is doing is putting the system into a mode called "Safe Boot". If the problem is merely with an outdated or corrupted cache or minor file system errors then this may fix it.

If it does not, we will move on to the next step of troubleshooting.

IT APPEARS THE BLACK LINE HAS QUIT 1/4 INCH FROM THE FINISH
It would be helpful to get a phone call(###) ###-####

I can not provide telephone support but you can request it from your side and another expert may pick it up when they are available.

In the meantime, if that does not complete, then try this;

Shutdown your Mac.

Restart and, immediately, press and hold the “OPTION” (or “Alt”) key at boot until the boot menu appears.

Then, select the “Recovery" volume.

(Alternative: If the above doesn’t work… Restart, hold COMMAND + R keys until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator. If neither of those work, try COMMAND + R + OPTION.)

Wait for “macOS Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL)

Choose Disk Utility from the available options.

In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar (usually "Macintosh HD").

Then, Click “First Aid“.Next, click “Run”, if requested. (You may need to click “Mount” first if First Aid is not highlighted. If you do not see “First Aid” then click “Repair Disk”.)

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK. Then you can click “Done” if requested.

Once the process has completed, choose “Disk Utility” > “Quit Disk Utility” in the menu bar at the top of the display.

Then, restart your Mac and it should hopefully boot back into your normal Desktop.

MAC OS UTilities are up and I selected disk utility buy am not able to make anything happen. My mouse does not show up to click continue, nor does hitting return

Is your mouse wired or wireless?

Wireless - I’m reading your comments from a Mac laptop. The desktop MAC was new in 2012 and I might have the wrong name - has a 17 inch wide screen

Is this mouse a third-party mouse that requires a USB dongle or an Apple mouse?

Apple

Ok and do you have anything plugged into the Mac?

Keyboard
Still have the disk utility up, just can’t click continue

Ok,

Power off the Mac.

Unplug the Mac's power cord.

Wait fifteen seconds, minimum.

Attach the Mac's power cord.

Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the Mac back on.

Once that is done, repeat the process to try and run Disk Utility:

immediately, press and hold the “OPTION” (or “Alt”) key at boot until the boot menu appears.

Then, select the “Recovery" volume.

Now I have a revolving earth with a gray progress indicator

Ok let that run, you should end up at the same spot.

Okay about 7 minutes

It's running the Internet version of Recovery so it will take a bit.

Now just have the Apple logo in gray

OK, it should move to the macOS Utilities screen shortly.

No change as of yet

It probably shouldn't take that long unless you have atypically slow internet.

Was anything installed, upgraded, etc... just before this issue?

Not that I know of
I usually keep my computer on at night in sleep mode -- shut it down last Friday morning and it has not started since.

Ok, power off once more.

restart and, immediately, press and hold the COMMAND and S keys together. When the screen flashes and goes black and you start seeing text appear on screen, let go of the keys.

After a short period of time you will land at a command prompt (similar to :/root#) or it may stop on an error.

Let me know which you arrive at.

the writing went off and no I have the "enter password" screen with a restart and shutdown button at the bottom of the screen

Interesting. Are you able to sign in?

I'll try now and let you know

Ok.

If you can make it in - Can you tell me the exact version of macOS you are currently running on your Mac, please?

Click the Apple logo in the menu bar at the top left of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Thanks,

Now i have the "localhost:/root at the bottom of three screens of apple type

Ok,

type:

/sbin/fsck -fy

and press Return.

To be clear there is one space in there between fsck and -fy.

executing checking series now

Ok

Also, did you recently turn on FileVault by chance?

Okay -- best I can remember it's a MacBook Pro (2012). I would not know how to turn on FileVault.
I am reading "to boot the system:" $ exit

Ok, the fact that the graphical login screen popped earlier leads me to think it has been turned on at some point.

Did the file system checker report any errors?

Also reading "the volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK." Also, "the volume was modified."
Sorry - don't know what the file system checker is.

The command you were just running, did it report any errors or repairs on the screen?

getting a new set of checking --extents over file, catalog file, multi-linked files, catalog hierarchy, extended attributes file, volue bitmap, volume information, unused blocks. "The volume Mac HD appears to be OK"
did not see the words "errors" or "repairs"
Also can't go up on the screen -- only down

Ok, good. That at least looks fine to me.

Type 'exit' or 'reboot' to leave this mode.

reboot successful and am watching the black line fill the gray--now a bit more than half
approaching 3/4 -- this is where it has been getting very slow

Ok if that doesn't complete... try this next;

power off once more.

restart and, immediately, press and hold the COMMAND and V keys together. When the screen flashes and goes black and you start seeing text appear on screen, let go of the keys.

After a short period of time you will likely land at the login screen again *I hope*.

Okay - back at login in and now lots of too many corpses being created

corpses? lol

35 so far and counting.... "Too many corpses being created."

Ok that is an obscure error and my guess you will get a huge number of these. Do you have a back up of your Mac via Time Machine?

It's an iMac

Ok that's fine. Do you back up via Time Machine?

I've done backups but don't know if it were time machine or not.

How have you created these back ups?

I am assuming I've done it on the iMac --I get prompted on the iPhone and tablet. Maybe I have not done this. I know I've got some stuff in the cloud, but please understand I'm in kindergarten here on this tech stuff.
will this corpse crashing continue for a long time?
I've saved some files in drop boxes

Ok, if you are signed into iCloud on the Mac then it's likely *some* info is synced but documents and the majority of your system would NOT be backed up.

The problem you are having is that a portion of the operating system on your Mac has crashed, resulting in a lot of defective or dead software processes being created over and over again at startup (in this case, referred to as corpses). This is why it never completely makes it to the desktop because it is stuck in this state.

The only guaranteed method for recovering from it would be to restore an earlier back up, which you do not have, or attempting to erase and re-install macOS. This requires being able to get to the 'macOS Utilities" screen you saw earlier but could not use the mouse.

If you do not have info you would like to save then I would recommend trying to come up with a wired mouse to make this a bit easier OR if you do have data you wish to preserve then it's going to need hands on assistance by an authorized service center.

do you still need assistance with this issue? I would be glad to help further. Otherwise, if you could please rate to close out this session that would be much appreciated.