Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My friend can't get into his computer he hasn't opened for a…

Customer Question
My friend can't get...

My friend can't get into his computer he hasn't opened for a year. Can't remember his password ***** it wants a thumb drive to reset one is there a way around that?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

It was set in 2016 when brand new. No disk was involved!

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

He can't get beyond the request for password

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No that's it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/28/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Richard, Apple Software Engineer replied 2 months ago
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Can you tell me the version of windows you are using?

Please let me know

Intel? It's an idea pad 100s

ok, but windows 7 or 8 or 10?

He cannot open to answer that question
The only thing he can get is his name and the request for password. A hint is given but he still can't get in without a thumb drive with a password ***** ....!

Please reply to my last question I sent you

There s no such message.it says for password ***** the use this wizard you must have first created a password ***** disk
Please respond

I will repeat again

does the sign in screen like this (click the link below)

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-account-name-windows-10-sign-screen

No

Then it is windows 7 so we need to do a full reset

Which brand computer is it? HP, Dell?

Lenovo ideapad

ok, they will need to reset the computer, this will remove all data from it and return it to new but this you cannot avoid, it is the whole point of the password

To do this, power off the computer

Then power it on and keep tapping F11 until you get to a menu

Follow the onscreen steps to perform a Factory Restore

Once done, windows is reinstall and the computer is as new, so you can use it like if you just received it from the store.

Let me know please how you go

This has a plethora of marine chart loaded on it that he does not want to lose
Please respond. Is there a way to do this without losing the charts that were loaded?

Ok, then he would need to take it into a computer store, they will need to dismantle it and remove the hard drive

They then put it into another computer that can read from it and get the data from it.

Once they do this you put the hard drive back in and you then need to do the instructions I gave you

btw: Please note I will always respond, I just need a minute to type out the response to you

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

We are in bush alaska do you mean to tell me that no one has had this problem before. I have 2 computers that do not require a setup disk every time I forget my passwords

with windows 7, without losing your data and with no backup then yes this is what you need to do.

Else there would be no point to having a password ***** the computer in the first place.

Is there a way of eliminating the password ***** He doesn't want one

yes, but only one he has signed in of course. Then when he can sign in

1. Click Start, type netplwiz, and then press Enter.
2. In the User Accounts dialog box, click the account you want to automatically log on to.If it is available, clear the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password ***** Use This Computer check box.
3. Click OK.
4. In the Automatically Log On dialog box, enter the user’s password ***** and click OK.

Then it auto signs you in.

Is there anything else you require from me?

I see you have been checking back here but not responding at all, is there a reason for this?