Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My MacBook Pro locked up with a message that it is infected…

My MacBook Pro locked...

My MacBook Pro locked up with a message that it is infected with 3 viruses - it says to call Apple Support ai(###) ###-#### Is this legitimate?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook Pro?

I forget - how can I get this info from the computer?

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. How long has this been going on with your MacBook Pro? What have you tried so far?

Just started - I have tried nothing yet since I was not sure that it was a legit Apple Support number

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

It says that your Mac OS X is infected with 3 viruses - prescsn foundtraces of 2 malware and 1 phishing/spyware. System damage: 28.1percent. Immediate removal required

5/26/2018
Mike, Mac Medic

That is a SCAM do not call there is nothing wrong with your computer!!

Download this software and run a scan: https://www.malwarebytes.com

How do I get rid of it?

What browser are you using?

Go to the Apple Logo on the upper left to Force Quit and choose the browser you are using to force quit it. Then hold Shift and reopen the browser that should get you out of their loop.Let me know

If Malwarebytes finds any malware it will give you the option to remove it and restart. Let me know

If it is a scam, can I just close it and do nothing more?

Probably if you are not stuck in a loop but it is always best to check with legit software. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question for no extra charge. Thanks!!

FYI Apple will NEVER send you a message like that so ALWAYS ignore it.

OK?

Mike,Your assistance was very helpful and prompt. I cannot praise your expertise enough. Thank you very much.

OK thank you. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question for no extra charge. Thanks!!

I am delighted with the prompt and very helpful assistance. Thank you.
Far above OK - wonderful help - great rating.

Thank you come back if you need further help.

You have to actually click on the rating or accept my answer thank you

Mike, Mac Medic

Thanks! You can ask for me again here if you have new questions, please bookmark this link: askmikethemacmedic.com

my questions were answered; I did the rating; and I will specifically ask for you in the future.Thank you