Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My mac won't start up. The power comes on but it never

My mac won't start...

My mac won't start up. The power comes on but it never chimes and boots up. We had an electrical storm yesterday and it wouldn't start up after that. It is an ooooooold mac.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a PRAM reset on your Mac (rebooting and holding down Command, Option, P, and R)? Or rebooting in Recovery Mode (holding down Command and R)?

I tried the Command R but not the PRAM. The monitor screen is not responding to anything. It is an HP 2009m. The monitor status emblem comes up but then it goes to sleep.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

I have now tried disconnecting everything and force shut down then hit start button. I also cleaned everything and checked all the plug ins. Still no luck.
I see a question below about securely connecting to my other mac to fix it. How do we do that?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I don't understand your request
I need more information on how to give you access to my ailing computer. Also, I don't know what you mean by "send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed." What does that refer to? I have given access to my credit card but I thought I was in the free trial window. Either way, I just need help. If it will be a while, please let me know so I can go do other things.
I have to go work on another project. I will check back in periodically.
Are you working on this for me??? Is anyone there???
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/26/2018
Mike, Mac Medic

Sorry what model Mac is it?

If it is an iMac or Mac Mini unplug it from power for 5 minutes.

Then try resetting the PRAM.

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need them in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.

6. Release the keys.

If it is a laptop with a battery that is not easily removed:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
  6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
  8. Release the keys.
Power PC G5 OS 10.6.8 Titanium

I can't help you by remote if your computer won't start.

Ok. It seems to start the power but it won't boot up. lights on but no chimes.

1. Turn off the computer by selecting Shut Down from the Apple menu or by holding the power button until the computer turns off.

2. Open and remove both the metallic outer door and the inner plastic air deflector.

3. Remove the fan assembly immediately to the left of the processor module.

4. Press the SMU reset button on the logic board.

5. Replace the fan assembly, air deflector, and outer door.

6. Turn on the computer.

You can try the PRAM reset first:

1. Shut down the computer.

3. Turn on the computer.

6. Release the keys.

front or back?

Not sure what you mean front or back?

I did try the PRAM restart. I don't get any kind of a screen at all. Just the monitor trying to find . The side with the DVD player or the back where everything hooks up?I am guessing the front>

What year Power PC is it? If it is a tower there is only one side that can be removed

I think it is about a 2010. Does the whole back come off? or just part of it. I don't see any access on the front.
It may actually be older than that. I bought it used and my son-in-law upgraded it at one point with a split hard drive. Not sure when that was.

It cannot be a Power PC G5 if it was made in 2010. What does it look like?

Sorry, meant to let you know it is a tower.

You can attach a p;icture

I don't see where there are any screws I can take off. It is the metal titanium tower.
It has the metal exterior with a perforated surface and sort of metal curved handles front and back. Should I send you a photo?

It should have a lever that opens

Just a minute. Let me take a shot. I don't have cell service because I am way out in the woods so I have to use other means to send the information.

I sent a picture. this also shows you how to disassemble it: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Disassembling+Power+Mac+G5+Motherboard/7579

Thanks. I am working on it. How do I know what is the logic board?

It is the big blue flat thing with all the circuits on it

Ok. Is the reset labeled "Reset"? I don't see it.

Sorry I would need the exact model number. It is very small grey maybe near the RAM slots, it is NOT labeled. If you can find the button that should reset it but it of course ius very possible it was damaged by electricity. I can't diagnose that here.

ok. I see something that might be it. Will try it.

OK if there was a surge it could have blown the power supply or other circuits which might not be a lot to fix but I can't tell without seeing it live, Good luck

do I reassemble it and give it a shot or can I try it with it open?

As long as you did not remove anything you can try it open

Okay. Am plugging it back in. You have been great!!!! Here's hoping!!!

Good luck

Well this is different. My monitor says there is "no source signal".
Does that mean the connection is not secure?
I still didn't get the "chimes" when I hit the start button.

Do you have any startup chime?

Rats!
No.

OK then no it is probably not the monitor. You can try taking the video card out, then start it up without it to see if you get the chime

Which is the video card?

It is fairly easy to do see the link I sent you

The monitor is connected to it that should tell you which one it is there is probably only one card installed

You have to remove the bracket that holds them in.

ok. I think you are right, there is only one. I can't seem to access the link. The email just shows that you sent something but I can't see the message.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Disassembling+Power+Mac+G5+Motherboard/7579

thx

ON the right center of this picture there are screws that hold the cards in: https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/XCZd2WiNRQ2IU4PT.huge

It may look different on yours since I am not sure of the model

I unscrewed the spring-loaded screw but the card won't budge. Is there another connection? I don't see any.

There may be latch at the back of the card right where it plugs in to the board. Unplug the monitor and power of course

By the way, the model # looks like A1186 Mac Pro2

See where the cards plug it there is a plastic latch at the back? https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/F2OfQDIeCZ6o6Wyf.huge

I'm looking.
I found a latch behind it but I still doesn't want to budge. Let me try again.

You have to hold it as you try to remove it or it snaps back into place

I am doing that but it is really tight back there!! Do I pull out or up?
I actually tried both.

Down or up not sure I haven't seen one in a while sorry

Ok. It seems to be trying to loosen up but there is something else that seems to be holding it. Is it possible there is another latch?I am not finding anything but it is still in there really tight. There is a connection in the bottom middle that connects to the logic board in a little box with tiny holes in it. It looks like the connectors that use pins.

No it should only be the metal latch that holds the card in and the plastic one at the back, the monitor cord could also block it

Okay. I got it out. I didn't realize I needed to take the whole front piece off. Did that and now tried again. Still no chimes. : (

OK then it is something else maybe the power supply but I can't diagnose that here sorry

Do you mean the power from the plug or something else?
Is there anything else I can try?
I have other power cords. Would it help to try a different one?

No the power supply is inside the computer, I doubt it is the cord. Nothing left to try you need to take it somewhere sorry

If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question for no extra charge. Thanks!!

Okay. Thanks for trying. I know a lot more than I did before. Thanks!
Where do I record the rating? I don't see it.
Thanks!! You did a great job. I appreciate your patience.
Hmmm. The link disappeared!

You should see it now thanks. And good luck... If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Also please note we get paid the same no matter how long it takes to solve your issue, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question for no extra charge. Thanks!!

Still missing. It disappeared when I sent my last Thanks.
Can you re-send the Rating link, please?

You should get an email that will ask I can't actually make it happen here sorry

That works. Thanks so much!!

Great thank you

Wishing you All the BEST!!!

Same to you!!

Mike, Mac Medic