Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I want to continue to use Illustrator CS5. My old ten year…

I want to continue...

I want to continue to use Illustrator CS5.

Technician's Assistant: Which software or app can I help with?

My old ten year old I Mac has to be replaced, I want to continue to use Illustrator CS5. The CS5 will not work with new High Serria 10.13.4 operating system. What is the last Apple operating system that will support CS5?

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iMac?

My old I-mac I am not sure. The I-Mac I am using is OS X El Capitan, will this OS run CS2 Illustrator only, I do not need any other CS5 product.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iMac? What have you tried so far?

I bought the old IMac in 2007, had hard drive crash in 2014, was repaired and work fine until 5/23/18. So that is iMac is useless. So I need to buy a new iMac, but one that can run Illustrator CS5, what is the last Apple OS that will run CS5?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No I think we are good

5/26/2018
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

When it comes to design apps such as Illustrator, or any adobe app for that matter, it is nvery important to use the hardware that it recommends even if it is "possible" to use other operating systems.This is because even though you may be successful to install any CS5 app on newer OS versions, that does not mean that you will have no problems.

I know these type of programs are very expensive and users would like to save and use them forever but its really not worth the hassle. So for CS5 apps these are the system requirements. Notice the very old OS versions 10.5 and 10.6 that is all that you should try and use for these. See below:

• Intel processor
  • Mac OS X v10.5.7 or v10.6
  • 1 GB of RAM
  • 2 GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash-based storage devices)
  • 1024 x 768 display (1280 x 800 recommended) with 16-bit graphics adapter
  • DVD-ROM drive*
  • Broadband Internet connection required for online services

So if you are needing a new computer it would be very highly recommended to use the newer version of Illustrator. Here are the most recent system requirements for Illustrator CC:

• Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support
  • mac OS version 10.13 (High Sierra), macOS version 10.12 (Sierra), or Mac OS X version 10.11 (El Capitan)
  • 2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
  • 2 GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash storage devices)
  • 1024 x 768 display (1280 x 800 recommended)
  • Optional: To use GPU Performance: Your Mac should have a minimum of 1 GB of VRAM (2 GB recommended), and your computer must support OpenGL version 4.0 or greater.
    • To check for VRAM values: Choose Mac > About This Mac (Graphics information).
    • To find out if your computer supports the required OpenGL version (4.0 or later), see this Apple Support document.
  • Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.*

So in summary, your answer to what is the highest version for CS5 illustrator, well it all depends as some have success and some don't with random issues across the board. If you want things to work properly then you will want to match your hardware (computer) with the same version of Illustrator no matter what.

Here is the website for the most recent Illustrator for mac. Click Here

If you have any questions along the way, please let me know.

Please consider rating my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast