Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I don't use a password and my computer is asking for a pw -

Customer Question
I don't use a...

I don't use a password ***** my computer is asking for a pw - insisting - for me to back up to a new hard drive. what should I do?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

I don't remember - a few months ago when I upgraded to high sierra

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

How do I do that? won't they ask for a pw?

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Nope - that should do it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mac
5/25/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Richard, Apple Software Engineer replied 2 months ago
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Is this a mac computer or a windows computer and which version?

Please let me know

it's an imac and I've just been charge 40€ for this

yes this is not a free service.

Is this the password ***** when you first turn on the iMac?

I don't want you to connect for me - I want you to tell me how to fix this.
Am I going to get an answer?

Can you please reply to my last question to you?

I did. see above - it's an imac

I will repeat the question again

This is the first time I see this question, ok? I DO NOT use a pw as I am the only user of this imac.

restart the mac and tell me if it again asks for it

I am being asked insistently for a pw in order to back up to a new Intenso external hard drive
It does not ask for a pw when I start up

I am going to opt out of working with you further on this

You do not need to do anything, you will be contacted when another expert takes over

thank you and all the best

just forget it. I want my 40 euros back.