Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have had my ipad for several years now and last night an…

Customer Question
Hello, I have had...

Hello, I have had my ipad for several years now and last night an activation lock came on my screen. it asks for my apple ID and Password. I have no idea what either of them are. How can I reset them?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

I don't know that it has ever been changed.

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

How do I do that?

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of, thank you

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mac
5/25/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 2 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Yes, when an activation lock happens you have no choice but to enter the apple id and password ***** is asking for.

If you feel that you have forgotten your apple id password, please go to https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid and type in your Apple ID and continue. Apple will then provide you with an option to reset your password ***** by email, security questions, text message, etc.

Then once you have the password ***** you can try and sign into the ipad. If it does not work right away, you can try and restart the ipad and make sure you are connected to wifi.

If the apple id and password ***** for sure correct, but you still can't sign into the ipad, try connecting your iPad to your computer and open iTunes. Itunes should then recognize your ipad and ask you for the same apple id and password. Try and sign in with your apple id and password ***** within the iTunes screen and make sure you're connected to the internet while you try this.

If that does not work and you still can't sign into the ipad, try signing into https://appleid.apple.com with your apple id and password. Then under the "devices" section, look for this ipad and click on it. Choose to "remove" this device from your account.

However, if you are not able to reset your password ***** your apple id on this ipad, you will have no choice but to call applecare directly and show them proof of purchase, meaning that you are the 1st and only original user of this device and then they have the power to unlock. Applecare - United States(###) ###-####/p>