Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have an iMac and iPad. There were too many photos on the…

Customer Question
I have an iMac...

I have an iMac and iPad. There were too many photos on the iPad -- was using up all capacity. But I wanted to save them. i was told if I deleted them on the iPad -- but then retrieved them on the iMac -- then I would have freed up space on the IPad but still have the pictures on the iMac. Great. So I got rid of a lot of pictures on the iPad. But now when I look on the iMac -- in photos, in "albums" -- I can't find the album where I can retrieve or save the pictures that were just deleted a few days ago. That "album" appears to have disappeared. How do I retrieve it -- so I can retrieve all the pictures I deleted on the iPad? ***@******.*** (###) ###-#### Glencoe

Technician's Assistant: Are you working with a phone, tablet, or computer?

On iMac right now. But I have a phone in front of me so I can call or be called.

Technician's Assistant: How long ago was your photos deleted?

Few days -- I remember being told that I had 30 days to retrieve. I didn't want to tempt fate, so waited only 3-4 days before trying to retrieve what had been deleted. They were in an "album" -- I now can't find it.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No -- that's it.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mac
4/5/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 3 months ago
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro

Hi! I'm Eric, a Mac expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

Good evening. I'm afraid the advice you received is wrong...thank you for not waiting too long to reach out! We're going to need to restore your photos as the first step, and then we can go about freeing up space on your iPad.

To restore your photos:

1. Go to iCloud.com in any web browser (you might need to sign in).
  2. Click on Photos.
  3. Click on Albums at the top.

4. Click the Recently Deleted album.
  5. Click on the photos you want to restore.
  6. Click on Recover.

Once your photos return, we can clear up space on your iPad by using the built-in Optimize Storage feature:

1. Make sure you're on Wi-Fi.
  2. Enable iCloud Photo Library.
  3. Launch the Settings app.
  4. Tap Photos & Camera.

5. Select Optimize Storage.

Once you do so, iCloud will automatically remove full-resolution versions of older images from your device, storing only the most recent images locally.

The rest of those images and video will continue to be stored safely in iCloud at full resolution and in their native format — JPG, PNG, MOV, or RAW — and continue to be downloaded to all other devices where you've selected the "Download and Keep Originals" option.

It may take a while for these changes to take place, especially if you're on a slower Wi-Fi network, so don't despair if your storage space doesn't initially free up.

Please let me know whether that helps!

Hello! Just quickly checking back in to make sure your issue is now resolved? When you have the chance, would you kindly let me know? Thanks so much for using JustAnswer.com!