Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I need to find out if it is safe to turn on my mac. A voice…

Customer Question
I need to find...

I need to find out if it is safe to turn on my mac. A voice and screen came up and said I had a virus and to call a specific number “right now”. I turned the computer off with difficulty. Do you have any ideas for me?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Mac?

The one below Sierra.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Mac? What have you tried so far?

It happened 2 days ago. I have had the computer off and unplugged since ghen.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

When i tried to quit Safari i couldn’t. Also the force quit was inactive. The voice saying call a number was constant. I turned it off with the off button and the i unplugged the computer.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mac
See above
4/1/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 3 months ago
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro

Hi! I'm Eric, a Mac expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

Thank you

Hello! The good news is that the scary screen and voice that popped up are the precursor to a scam -- had you called that number, the scammer at the other end would have tried to convince you to buy phony tech support/virus removal service and bilked you out of money. So...you did exactly the right thing!

Your computer is completely safe to turn back on. When it first boots back up, you may see a message asking if you want to re-open everything that was on your screen when the computer shut down. Don't do that, or else the fake website/virus warning might pop back up. Aside from that, you're all set.

As an aside, do you run antivirus software on your computer to keep you safe from legitimate threats?