Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My iMac isn’t allowing me to click on anything, it appears…

My iMac isn’t allowing me...
My iMac isn’t allowing me to click on anything, it appears totally frozen. No spinning ball however. The desk top appears as usual. I’ve tried force quit and multiple restarts to no avail. I can hear activity occasionally. When I restart I can see a bar that’s building (like a re indexing looking bar). This all happened after I visited a site that had a pop up saying the computer has a virus and there for I should purchase their software. I closed the window and everything seemed ok but maybe a bit slower. At the time of pop up the Mac made a loud horn sound. I’ve got multiple carbon copy clones so that would be my last resort. Another thing I contemplated was reinstalling the operating system at boot up.
4/1/2018
Mike, Mac Medic

Welcome to justanswer.com a fee based Answer site. My name is ***** ***** verified Mac Expert not affiliated with Apple. Please reply to continue.

Gee you are fast!

Restart holding the Option Command and R keys. This will boot from Internet Recovery Run the Disk Utility and check the drive if ok quit that and select Reinstall Mac OS X. Let me know

Make sure it is off by holding the power button for 15 seconds first

Ok I’ll hold the off button for 15 seconds

OK then Restart holding the Option Command and R keys. This will boot from Internet Recovery Run the Disk Utility and check the drive if ok quit that and select Reinstall Mac OS X. Let me know

Mike, Mac Medic
I’m up to the internet recovery run part but it’s not letting me select anything I might reboot and try again.
I’ve managed to get boot camp to run and inside windows it will run pretty heavy software.
Contemplating running carbon copy clone. My only concern with this is how it might affect the boot camp side of things.
My sincerest apologies for taking up your time. I’ve swapped mouse to a apple tack pad and left and right click both functional

Great sorry I did not get notified that you replied. If everything is ok you may be ok but just to be sure:

Try resetting the PRAM. But first to reset the SMC shut down the computer and unplug from power for 10 minutes then

1. Plug the computer in to power.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need them in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts at least twice.

6. Release the keys.