Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Well, I have a MacBook Pro. It powers on and off fine but…

Customer Question
Well, I have a...

Well, I have a MacBook Pro. It powers on and off fine but when I power on it stays on a white screen with the Apple logo and a spinning wheel below it. It won’t leave that screen. I took the batter out and put it back in and it is still stuck on that screen. What do you suggest I try doing?

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a Force Quit on your frozen MacBook Pro (pressing and holding Option, Command, and Escape)?

Yes and that doesn’t change anything. I also tried command & r for factory reset and that didn’t change anything either.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

That is it! Thank you.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mac
4/1/2018
Mac Support Specialist: syseng, Systems Engineer replied 3 months ago
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

First, perform an SMC reset by doing the following:

Shut down the Macbook.
Press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the built-in keyboard and press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds.
Note that if you have a MacBook Pro with Touch ID, the Touch ID button is also the power button.
After pressing the keys together for 10 seconds, release all keys.
Press the power button again to turn on your Macbook and test to see if the issue is resolved.

If that does not resolve the issue do the following:

Boot the Mac computer.
Press the Command and S keys while starting the computer to enter single user mode.
Run the following command:
fsck -fy
Once it completes and the "File system was modified" message appears, run the fsck -fy command again.
Once the "Volume appears to be OK" message appears type
reboot
and press enter to boot the computer and test to see if the issue is resolved.

Ok then next power down the Mac.

Power up the Mac while pressing and holding the shift key.

Release the shift key once you see the login window (computer desktop) appears.

If that works, reboot the computer into normal mode to see if it boots normally.