Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have an iphone 6. on the screen it shows a picture of a…

Customer Question
I have an iphone...

I have an iphone 6. on the screen it shows a picture of a cord plugging into a red/white/blue iTunes symbol. what should I do?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iPhone?

I have no idea.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iPhone? What have you tried so far?

It's been like this for a week or so. the phone is totally unusable. we thought maybe the battery was bad so we had a new one put in yesterday. but it's still the same.

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Mac
3/31/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 22 days ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

The screen you are witnessing with the iTunes logo and the charging cord is called "recovery mode". If you are seeing this screen that means that something has happened with the operating system of the phone and it needs to be reinstall. Normally at this point, there is no way for you to save your data and it needs to be erased/restored so you can use your phone again.

Therefore, do you have a computer you can use? They are some options to do this and I have described them below.

iOS Recovery Mode using iTunes on the computer and choosing to "UPGRADE" not restore

All you would need to do is put the phone into recovery mode and then connect it to a computer and do a restore. Here is how.

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or family member if needed.
  3. While your device is connected, put it into recovery mode You do this by doing the next step
  4. Make sure the phone is still in recovery mode, if not, Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons for at least 10 seconds but don’t let go when you see the apple logo. Hold these buttons until you see the iTunes logo and cable icon. See pic attached to this message.
  5. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose to update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS. It may take a while just keep an eye on it as you may need to download the file and open it. Just follow the instructions on the screen and you should be fine. If not let me know

If that does not work you have no choice but to try and restore/erase the phone

To do this you do the same steps as above in the first option but this time choose "restore"

If that doesn't work you can try to erase the phone by visiting www.icloud.com

Using www.icloud.com

1. Sign in to iCloud.com with their Apple ID.
  2. Go to Find My iPhone.
  3. Click All Devices at the top of the screen.
  4. Select the device that you want to remove from iCloud.
  5. click Erase [device].
  6. Click Remove from Account.

If you have any questions along the way, please let me know.

Please consider rating my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Jon
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast