Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Our apple TV 4 freezes up. We have tried unplugging the

Customer Question
Our apple TV 4...

Our apple TV 4 freezes up. We have tried unplugging the power cord for 30 seconds and also pressing the menu button and +volume sign; neither of these techniques worked. The light starts blinking for a second or two and then stops and freezes.

Technician's Assistant: When was the last time you updated the Operating System (OS) on your Mac or device?

I think withing the last six months for sure, could be less than that

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mac
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/31/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 3 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

That was a good thing to try with the power down and power back up but the only other thing you can do is reinstall the iOS on the apple tv using iTunes on your computer. If this does not work, then you know there is nothing else you can do and it would be a hardware issue. At that point, you would need to take it to your local apple store to get repaired in person as we would already rule out software/operating system:

1. Unplug the HDMI cable and power cord from your Apple TV.
  2. Open iTunes on your computer. Check that you have the latest version.
  3. On the back of your Apple TV (4th generation), plug in a USB-C cable. For Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation), use a Micro-USB cable. Use the correct cable for your model, and never plug a lightning to USB cable into your Apple TV.
  4. Plug the other end of your USB-C or Micro-USB cable into a USB port on your computer.
  5. For Apple TV (3rd or 4th generation), plug in the power cord. For Apple TV (2nd generation), leave it unplugged.
  6. In iTunes, you should see the Apple TV summary page. If you don't see the Apple TV summary page, click the apple tv icon in the upper-left corner.
  7. Click Restore Apple TV. While it's restoring, don’t unplug anything. The time it takes to restore your Apple TV depends on the speed of your Internet connection.
  8. When your Apple TV has finished restoring, unplug the USB-C or Micro-USB cable and power cord, if connected. Then reconnect the HDMI cable and power cord to your Apple TV.