Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I haven’t used my Mac Pro for awhile and I keep trying in…

Customer Question
I haven’t used my...

I haven’t used my Mac Pro for awhile and I keep trying in what I think is the entry password ***** success. Help!!!

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

My Apple ID was changed about 3 weeks ago

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

No how

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Yes please

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mac
3/30/2018
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Apple Consultant replied 3 months ago
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! I will work to provide accurate advice. Give me a minute to read your submission.

If Secure Remote Assistance is offered, please ignore it.

1) Shutdown your Mac.

2) Power it back on and quickly press and hold the “OPTION” key at boot until the boot menu appears showing the hard drive volumes in your Mac. (Alternative: If that doesn’t work - Restart, hold COMMAND + R keys until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator. If neither of those work, try COMMAND + R + OPTION. - and skip step 3)

3) Select the “Recovery" volume.

4) Wait for “macOS/OS X Utilities” screen to appear (DO NOT RE-INSTALL)

You should see a menubar at the very top of your display. Choose the “Utilities” option in that menubar, then select “Terminal” from the drop down menu.

5) Type the following at the prompt inside the new terminal window that opens:

resetpassword

and press ‘Return’ on your keyboard.

6) Select the “Macintosh HD” volume and the user account. To change the password, type it in both places, and a hint, then click the ‘Save’ button.

NOTE: if the screen looks different than described above and instead offers 3 choices (forgot password.

password ***** work when logging in, my keyboard isn't working when typing my password *****) then choose “Forgot password” and follow along to reset it…

6) Restart your Mac and, hopefully, login with the ability to use the new password.

NOTE: After resetting your password ***** logging back in to your account, you might see an alert that the system was unable to unlock your login keychain. This is expected, because the passwords for your user account and login keychain no longer match. Just click the Create New Keychain button in the alert.

If you still have concerns, don’t negatively rate my answer, just reply back and let me know. I'll be happy to advise you further. When finished, please give a positive rating so I can be credited for my assistance. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,