Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a MacBook running 10.6.8. I want to upgrade to a

Customer Question
I have a MacBook...

I have a MacBook running 10.6.8. I want to upgrade to a newer OS. I have only been backing up files and never set up a bootable back up. So I have been trying to back up current OS. Most external drives I looked at said it would not back up prior to 10.8. However I found a 2TB Seagate Drive that I thought would. I formatted the drive and set the backup, but it always fails mid way. How do I back up this OS?

Technician's Assistant: Does the hard drive icon appear on your desktop?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried accessing the drive on a different computer?

No. My husbands computer is an HP PC.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 3 days by:
4/3/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Rachel-Mod, Moderator replied 17 days ago
Rachel-Mod
Rachel-Mod, Moderator
Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I am the category moderator.
I notice that your question has been sitting for a while without a response.
Are you still needing help with this matter?
Rachel-Moderator
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I do thank you.
Thank you for getting back with me. I will open this matter back up to our experts to further assist you. Thank you for your patience.
Rachel-Moderator
Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Still no answer.
Mac Support Specialist: Aaron B, Computer Support Specialist replied 16 days ago
Aaron B
Aaron B, Computer Support Specialist

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you. I can help you via Secure Remote Assistance or this chat. Are you trying to backup your MAC with Time Machine, Time Capsule, or third party software?

Thanks,

Aaron

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Time Machine or backup disk

If you have not done so already, you could perform a disk repair at startup. You can go into recovery mode via CMD + R at startup to get into recovery mode. Also, you can verify whether or not there is a problem with your hard disks.

Once you verify and or repair your disk, you can try to run that backup again. Are you receiving any error messages? If so, please post them.

Another problem causing your backup to fail is an inproperly formatted destination hard disk. You want to format your backup drive the same as your current drive with Mac operating system on it. For example if your MAC OS hard disk is formatted as MAC OS Extended Journaled, then your backup two terabyte drive should also be formatted as Extended Journaled.

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
I am leaving on vacation. May I follow up next week?
Mac Support Specialist: Aaron B, Computer Support Specialist replied 15 days ago

Yes, you can. Although, I think questions automatically expire after 7 days if you do not respond. You could just respond within 7 days to keep this request open or open a new one when you return.

Thanks,

Aaron

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
I am back from vacation. I could not seem to get in recovery mode. I did cmd- R and opt-cmd-r. It just opened as usual. I did go to disk utility and did a verify disk. I stopped verifying disk and then said the disk was corrupt and I need d to start with another disk (which I do not have, did not come with computer) and then run repair disk. It won’t let me repair disk from the current screen.
Mac Support Specialist: Aaron B, Computer Support Specialist replied 11 days ago

You can try holding the "Command" and "r" keys at the same time during a restart. Also, you can power off your MAC. Power on your MAC and immediately press and hold both "Command" and "r" keys at same time.

Select "Disk Utility" then click "Continue". Choose "View" then select "Show All Devices". Select the hard drive you want to verify.

Click on a first aid button. Now click on "Run". You need to let it finish verifying the disk. Disk Utility will attempt to verify and repair any problems.

This program will tell you if nothing is wrong with your drive or that it has been repaired. If you receive any errors, please post them. Also, you could try running Disk Utility again if it tells you it cannot repair your drive.

Thanks,

Aaron

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
Sorry I wasn’t clear. I did try the cmd-r and opt-cmd-r at restart. It would not go into recovery mode. Just start up as normal. I decided to do disk utility anyway. During verify, I meant to say it stopped on it’s own and said I needed to repair the disk but I am unable to do so.
Mac Support Specialist: Aaron B, Computer Support Specialist replied 10 days ago

Try disk repair multiple times, even if you get errors.

Mike, Mac Medic