Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I don't have audio when I talk to someone. Macbook air. I am…

Customer Question
I don't have audio...

I don't have audio when I talk to someone

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

Macbook air

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook Air?

I am not computer saviie cn you explain

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your MacBook Air? What have you tried so far?

This only started today on one call, I tried hiting the mic icon and also tried the icon at top of page. neither solved problem.

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Mac
3/30/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 27 days ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

If you are using your MacBook Air and the internal mic, then I would check the sound preferences by navigating to Apple/system preferences/sound/ and then select "INPUT" at the top and you can speak and see if you see your input level toward the bottom of the same level light up green yellow and/or red showing how load you are. IT looks like a little meter. You can also make sure you are not on mute as well at the very bottom and toggle the input volume depending on how the mic is reading your voice. At the very top of this sound window, you are in you should see "LINE IN". If you do not see this or you see that the mac is still not hearing your voice and you don't see the input meter moving, then something must be wrong with your mic or something with your operating system.

Therefore, what you would need to do if the mac is not hearing your voice, and you checked all that I described above then you can easily reinstall your os without losing your data and just within a couple steps. If needed, here are those steps:

1. Restart your mac
  2. immediately hold down COMMAND and R on your keyboard
  3. If done correctly you should get to the main menu
  4. choose "reinstall OS" - don't worry, this does not erase your files/data it just reinstalls the system files and folders.
  5. follow the onscreen instructions which are basically next, next, next

Then once you have the OS reinstalled, please try the mic again and check the sound settings like I explained before.

If you have any questions along the way, please let me know.

Please consider rating my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Jon
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast