Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have an Apple iPhone 6 Plus... It fell in the toilet.

I have an Apple...

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iPhone?

Seems it works if I put it on speaker. when I put it in rice for several hours... Rice got in the port charger.. But I got it out and it's charging... what are my options?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

What does that mean? I have my account with AT&T... Is that what you mean?

3/29/2018
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! I will work to provide accurate advice. Give me a minute to read your submission.

If Secure Remote Assistance is offered, please ignore it.

Thank you... I do not understand the charges... First it's 5 dollars with a 35.00 for a period of time... Then all this advertisements for 40-50 dollars a month...
for 39.00 OK....thanks Marci

In the tragic event of getting something like a phone wet the outcome is often not good. However, the chances greatly depend on how quickly you take action. While liquid damage is completely dictated on a case by case basis, at least part of the time, it can be fixed as long as you don't wait too long before and don't do anything to damage the device further. It's good you stuck it in rice, but how long was it in there?

While any kind of liquid can damage electronics, some are more severe than others. Acidic substances (such as OJ, soda, beer, etc ) can eat away at delicate electronic components and failure rates with these type of liquids is much higher than coming into contact with water.

If the Phone was exposed to water in the last day and you only had it in rice for a few hours then it is VERY unlikely the phone has completely dried out.

So, if the device is not turned off, do so now.

Things you should NOT do:

Do NOT try to turn it on again for the moment as this may cause further damage.

Do NOT plug it into your charger. You can short circuit the logic board or other internal components. The more you try to turn it on and use it during this important window of treatment increases the likelihood of further damage.

Do NOT use heat (such as a hair dryer or heater) to further the drying process as they may contribute to further failure.

Things you SHOULD DO:

Professional service is preferred, if you absolutely can not afford a repair or merely want to try fixing it yourself and the device has ONLY come into contact with plain water, you may try the following.

Enclose the device in a plastic bag with a cup or two of dry, uncooked white rice again. It's important that you leave it in there for AT LEAST 48 to 72 hours or more in order to pull the moisture out of the internal components and into the rice.

There is nothing you can do to guarantee full functionality and little more you can do, personally, to further improve the situation at this point in time but to wait and see if the phone works once it is completely dry.

Professional service is always preferred but the above may save devices with minimal contact to water.

Please note: I can provide expert advice and information only - not for the successful repair of your iPhone. When troubleshooting electronic issues, sometimes the final diagnosis is that it is a physical defect in nature and the ‘answer’ such as in this case may be a recommendation to seek out repair from an authorized service center if the defect in question is not considered “user repairable”. This may be a frustrating answer and I do sympathize but please don't shoot the messenger.

If you can fix it for 39.00 ok...
It was in rice for about 4 hours without charging.. I did turn it off and occasionally turned it on...
I just starting charging it but stopped it now..
I should turn it off(to save power) and put it back in the rice for the night?
It was toilet water... No urine...

If you're seeing offers for remote access, just ignore that. it's automated.

I would definitely recommend turning it completely off and then putting it back into the rice for a minimum of about 48 hours total. You can subtract the 4 you already had it in there.

Going to be hard not to have a cell phone... Needing it for work... Can I get a temporary phone with my phone number on it?
I should not even use it for 10 minutes... And do not charge it, correct?
This is a cool way to get service and now what to do..
Do you have any idea what my CC will be charged? The 5 dollars or the full 39.00 with out you connecting to my device and trying to fix it..?

I completely understand but the biggest problem is to prevent sudden, random failure in the near future. The phone may appear to work if you remove it early but if there's any water still inside it could result in unpredictable issues.

You might talk to your cell phone provider to see if the can temporarily forward your calls to another phone OR port your number to a second phone if you have one.

I'm not an employee of JustAnswer so for security reason I can not view your account or financial data. There is normally a $5 deposit and then the fee for accepting the answer itself. Only when rated do I receive a portion as credit for my assistance.

John T. F., Apple Consultant