Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I got a new DVD player don't know my user name and password…

Customer Question
I got a new...

I got a new DVD player don't know my user name and password ***** hook up new dvd

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your media player? How old is it?

Samsung brand new

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Samsung media player?

It is hooked up but need password ***** don't remember old one

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Mac
3/29/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 28 days ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

If you are trying to install an external DVD player to your mac, then your username and password ***** like it would be the username and password ***** your local user account on the Mac computer. If you share this mac computer then you may not have enough admin rights to install such a thing. Therefore, to check on the mac, you can navigate to the apple/system preferences/ users&groups and see which account on the left side has the word admin next to it. This also gives you a hint on who or the name of the admin and you would use that as the username it's just the password ***** would need.

If you are the admin of this computer but forgot your password ***** you may be able to check to see if you can change your password ***** the same section I helped navigate you to which was apple/system preferences/ users&groups and select your name and on the right side you should see a change password ***** However, if it asks for the old password ***** this will not help and if that is the case then there are other ways to bypass this password ***** it is not easy. I hope all the above will help get your issue resolved but if not please continue to read as there are some things to try if you do not know your admin password ***** this mac computer. They are the following:

Option #1- Single user mode

1. restart computer and hold the Command key (or the apple key for older keyboards) and the "S" key.

2. wait for terminal to show - this will look like a bunch of white text

3. you can release the keys you did in step 2 once you see the white text appear.

4. when the white text stops loading, type /sbin/mount -uaw

5. press enter

6. type rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

7. press enter

8. type reboot

9. press enter

This will let you create a new admin account when you reboot your computer. If this happens, don’t worry if you don’t see your normal desktop and files. Remember, you created a new admin user account so you will now need to do the following:

1. Click the apple

2. Click System Preferences

3. Users and Groups

4. Choose your old user account on the left side menu

5. Click the “change password” button on the right side menu.

Now you can sign out of your new admin account you had created temporarily and choose to sign into your old original user account and use the new password ***** have just created.

Option #2: Similar to option 1 but a little different

1. restart computer and hold the Command key (or the apple key for older keyboards) and the "s" key.

2. when the white text stops loading, enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin don’t worry if you don’t see your normal desktop and files. Remember, you created a new admin user account so you will now need to do the following:

1. Click the apple

2. Click System Preferences

3. Users and Groups

Option #3

1. Turn off your Mac (choose Apple > Shut Down).
  2. Press the power button while holding down Command and R. The Mac will boot into Recovery mode. When you see the load bar appear you can let go of the keys. It may take a few minutes to load.
  3. Choose Utilities > Terminal.
  4. Enter resetpassword (all one word, lowercase letters) and press Return
  5. Select the volume containing the account (normally this will be your Main hard drive).
  6. Choose the account to change with Select the User Account.
  7. Enter a new password ***** re-enter it into the password *****
  8. Enter a new password ***** related to the password.
  9. Click Save.
  10. A warning will appear that the password ***** changed, but not the Keychain Password. Click OK.
  11. Click Apple > Shut Down.

Now start up the Mac. You can login using the new password.

If you have any questions along the way, please let me know.

Please consider rating my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Jon
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast