Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My husband has disabled his phone. How can I unlock it?

Customer Question
My husband has disabled...

Technician's Assistant: When were you last able to use your phone?

Three or four days ago

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a Factory Reset? The Smartphone Expert can walk you through this to ensure you don't lose your photos, contacts and other data.

I don’t know how.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?

No just need to unlock his phone.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mac
3/29/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 2 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Depending on the information the iPhone is asking for while being disabled will depend on the steps needed to fix your issue. Usually, before your iPhone is disabled it was either asking for a passcode which is 4 to 6 digits or an apple id or password.

If its the apple id and password ***** all you will need to do is reset your password ***** going to https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid and type in your Apple ID and continue. Apple will then provide you with an option to reset your password ***** by email, security questions, text message, etc.

If it is the passcode, however, and you forgot the passcode, then the only way to bypass a passcode is by completely erasing the device and you will not be able to back up your data on the iPhone while your phone is disabled. Being able to do so would defeat the purpose of Apple's security. Here is how to bypass the passcode. You will need a computer to do one of these options:

OPTION 1 - If you have iTunes and a computer you can do the following to bypass the passcode. Plus, the most important part of these steps is 4-6 as it depends on what model iPhone you have. Either way, you need to have the phone in recovery mode which a screenshot is attached to this message.

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or family member if needed.
  3. While your device is connected, put it into recovery mode You do this by doing the next step
  4. On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen. See pic attached to this message.
  5. iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, iPod Touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons for at least 10 seconds but don’t let go when you see the apple logo. Hold these buttons until you see the iTunes logo and cable icon.

6. iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8+: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.

7. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose to restore. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS. It may take a while just keep an eye on it as you may need to download the file and open it. Just follow the instructions on the screen and you should be fine. If not let me know

OPTION 2 - Visit www.icloud.com and do the following:

1. Sign in to iCloud.com with their Apple ID.
  2. Go to Find My iPhone.
  3. Click All Devices at the top of the screen.
  4. Select the device that you want to erase
  5. Click Erase [device].
  6. Click Remove from Account.

If you have any questions along the way, please let me know.

Please consider rating my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.