Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I inadventantly deleted the text messages back and forth…

Customer Question
I inadventantly deleted the...

I inadventantly deleted the text messages back and forth with my daughter. texts, pictures, etc. I am devasted. can you tell me how to recover them? I have an I phone 5s

Technician's Assistant: Do you have a backup set up on iTunes or iCloud?

I think I have i cloud for pictures but think that is all. I have the smart phone but I'm 68 years old so don'tknow much.

Technician's Assistant: How long ago was your pictures deleted?

Yesterday

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mac
3/29/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 3 months ago
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro

Hi! I'm Eric, a Mac expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

Hello! There is a very good chance this is possible, but will require erasing your iPhone and then restoring it from a backup dated BEFORE you deleted the text thread.

To give this a shot:

1. On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Software Update. If a newer version of iOS is available, follow the onscreen instructions to download and install it.

2. Make sure you have a recent backup to restore from. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage (or Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage), then tap a device listed under Backups to see the date and size of its latest backup.

3. Go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap “Erase all content and settings.”

4. When the iPhone powers on again, follow the on-screen instruction to start setting up the device.
  5. When you get to "App & Data" screen, choose “Restore from iCloud Backup," then sign in to iCloud.
  6. Proceed to “Choose backup,” then choose from a list of available backups in iCloud.

Once your iPhone restores to the iCloud backup you chose, your text thread should be back on your iPhone!