Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I just set up my iCloud. One of the things it did was remove…

I just set up...

I just set up my iCloud. One of the things it did was remove everything on my desktop. While I admit that I have a lot of junk on my desktop, there are also the things that I use the most, and I'd like to have them back there. There are two follders, for example--my documents and my music scores--that are folders with a huge number of files. How do I get things like those two folders back on my desk-top without having to download each file?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?

Mac 10.13.3

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Mac?

Mac 10.13.3

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Mac? What have you tried so far?

I just opened my iCloud today for the first time, and everything disappeared off the desktop and went to iCloud. So I can find my files by going to iCloud, but I'd like them more immediately accessible, and, therefore, on my desktop. Am I being clear?

This is taking longer than I expected, and I'm swamped with work. When might I hear from you?
3/28/2018
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Sounds like you chose the option to store your Documents and Desktop to iCloud Drive. Remember, even if it appears to miss from Desktop, they will be redownloaded back to Desktop once they are correctly uploaded to iCloud. So give it some time and if it still not showing the files, then click on Apple > System Preferences > iCloud

Click Options under iCloud Drive. Enable "Desktop and Documents" there. If it is enabled already, then disable it and choose Keep if asked. Then enable it again and give it some time to refresh and save to desktop.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead of rating, please let me know by replying in here and I will stay with you and try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Okay, an alph listing of everything formerly on my desktop has now appeared. Can I drag these from this listing to the desktop?

On where do you see this listing?

A page appeared (after I did what you told me to do), labeled "Desktop." This lists everything that was formerly on my desktop.

Don't drag anything. Close that page. Restart your Mac and let me know the results

Oh, wait. It looks like everything has been restored to my desktop.
I think that's all I need. How do I rate your help?

Yes, it just needed a refresh. They are now both on desktop and iCloud. Also, make sure you have enough space on iCloud. If not, upgrade your storage on iCloud. See here --> https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201318

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Excellent Service or 5 stars and click Submit at the top. Then only I will get credit for helping you and excellent rating help me here.

Best Regards,

Ashik, Mac Technician