Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

The external top part of my macbook is completely off and…

Customer Question
The external top part...

The external top part of my macbook is completely off and the top portion wont stay up unless i prop a book or something behind it.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook?

I had pictures if that would help?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your MacBook? What have you tried so far?

Well i know it's lazy but we just decided to buy a imac desktop and rarely use the laptop now but I would like to get the laptop fixed I had a lot of our family pictures on it and I don't want to lose those

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No, just want to know the next steps to repair the laptop to it's original state

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
3/28/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Russell H., Long-time Computer Expert replied 4 months ago
Russell H., Long-time Computer Expert

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your computer question.

It sounds as if the hinges on the laptop gave way with age, probably owing to the hinges becoming stiffer and stiffer and putting stress upon themselves and the case around them - correct me if I'm wrong.

Depending upon how much of the case (near the hinges) is damaged, and depending on what broke when the hinges gave way, more or less of various things might have to be replaced. Not the screen, since you don't mention that the screen doesn't work, but presumably the outer case of the screen might, if broken or cracked as is common enough in these cases, as well as the hinges themselves and possibly some of the lower case of the main part of the laptop.

It might be easier to have the screen replaced as a whole. But this all depends upon the extent of what is damaged/broken. Look and see whether the lower case of the main part of the laptop is broken at all, let me know, and I will make further recommendations.

(How old is the MacBook in question? would you like recommendations for a Mac repair shop local to you, and if so, what is your local zip code or town/city and state?)

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.