Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

What happens if I found a phone but the owner is not from…

Customer Question
What happens if I found...
What happens if I found a phone but the owner is not from where I am and have already left the country? How can I delete her Apple ID on the phone?
Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Mac
3/28/2018
Mac Support Specialist: cvd4311, Computer Analyst replied 24 days ago
cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Analyst

On an Iphone if you get the passcode wrong after 10 times it will erase the data. That only works if the person who lost the iphone checked it off. If they didn't you could try restoring to factory settings. Go to Itunes on your computer and plug in your phone, it might say that it can't open it because you need to unlock it first so what you need to do keep the iphone plugged in and hold the home and power button for at least 10 seconds, once the iphone turns off release the power button and keep on holding the home button for at least 10 seconds until you get to DFU mode. DFU mode is the little picture of an Itunes logo with a cable. Your Itunes will recognize the Iphone and click on restore to factory settings and make sure to restore it to new.

You can also get to dfu mode:
1. Connect your iPhone to your computer with the USB cable. (make sure iPhone is on)
2. Hold both power and home buttons at the same time and count to 10 (1 one thousand 2 one thousand and keep going to 10)
3. Let go of the Power button, continue to hold the home button until the iPhone connects back to iTunes.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
The restore setting is not showing up. The former owner of the phone registered it online. The screen is currently stuck on activation lock.
Mac Support Specialist: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 23 days ago
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro

Good evening! Unfortunately, the only way you'd be able to do this would require you to know the original owner's Apple ID and password. You would need to activate the iPhone using that information, and then disable Find My iPhone on the device.

If you do not know and cannot obtain the original owner's Apple ID and password, there is no way to bypass Activation Lock (this is by design). I'm sorry for the bad news. :-(

Mac Support Specialist: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 21 days ago

Hello! Just quickly checking back in to make sure your issue is now resolved? When you have the chance, would you kindly let me know? Thanks so much for using JustAnswer.com!

Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 18 days ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! I am Justin. I see the previous expert has opened the question up to the rest of the experts. Are you still in need of assistance?

Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius