Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Trying to set up a new iPad for elderly lady. About two

Customer Question
Hello. Trying to set...

Hello. Trying to set up a new iPad for elderly lady.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iPad?

About two weeks ago we only got as far as the language and then created a password ***** If I wrote it down I can’t find it. I can’t remember it I keep guessing. So how do I get past that stage to reset my password? Everything I keep reading online says to go to my settings. I cannot even get that far I can’t do one thing until I reset my password ***** remember it which I cannot If I wrote it down I can’t find it. I can’t remember it I keep guessing. So how do I get past that stage to reset my password? Everything I keep reading online says to go to my settings. I cannot even get that far I can’t do one thing until I reset my password ***** remember it which I cannot

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Let me go get the box so I can try to answer the OS question.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
3/28/2018
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Apple Consultant replied 4 months ago
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! I will work to provide accurate advice. Give me a minute to read your submission.

If Secure Remote Assistance is offered, please ignore it.

To clarify; is this concerning the stand alone 4/6 digit passcode to unlock the device OR is it the password ***** the Apple ID?

Couldn’t find box. Re OS, on the back of IPad at bottom will serial numbers or other help?

That's ok. I don't need that right now. Is this concerning the stand alone 4/6 digit passcode to unlock the device OR is it the password ***** the Apple ID?

No, the first item. The very first password ***** seek. The 4-6 digit.

Ok. If you've forgotten the passcode then the entire iPad must be reset and restored (if you have/need a back up). You will also need a computer to do this.

The following procedure is a special device firmware update mode. It will erase your Apple device, remove the passcode, and then re-sync user data once it is done (provided you have a backup of some kind).

1) Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer before attempting this:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

(Mac users can run System Preferences > “App Store” ( or Software Update for older OS X releases) > "Check now" to get the latest version for their system in most cases.)

2) Open iTunes on your computer and connect the Apple device directly to it (using the charging cable that came with it from Apple)

3) Turn off the Apple device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device completely shuts off).

4) Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

5) Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

6) iTunes should alert you it’s detected a device in recovery mode, click OK and continue along for the restore.

Note: it may ask whether you wish to restore a backup from iTunes or from iCloud. You should use which ever has the latest backup of your personal data... or you can set it up as New.

Well it will take me some time to carefully read thru your reply to determine if it makes sense and works for me.
Should this not be successful, how do I request a refund?
Last thing - I have a laptop here at home. My computer. This iPad is to belong to my friend. Does it matter if I use MY computer for ITunes to activate HER iPad?

If you have trouble with any step, you can ask and I will try to explain it further. This is the only procedure open to you at home for getting around a forgotten passcode.

You'll just be using the laptop to reset the iPad in that case. Do not choose to restore a backup from iTunes. Choose to set it up as a new iPad.

Ok. I’ll give it a go. Thank you.

You are very welcome. Let me know if you run into an issue.