Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

We have several computers in our home mostly Apple but two…

We have several computers...

We have several computers in our home mostly Apple but two windows based. I have used IYOGI as a tech support company over at least 5 years, maybe longer. I’m struggling with whether they are a legitimate IT support organization or a fraud. They have reviewed our systems numerous times and they usually try to sell me protection software and I have trusted them and have paid quite a lot for it. Today they reviewed my main computer and told me that I had new problems which I thought I was protected against. They wanted to sell me several items for around $1300 for further protection. I’m not sure they are taking advantage of me or if their recommendations are really legitimate and things I should do. Help!!

Technician's Assistant: What kind of Apple device do you have? What version of Windows are you running?

We have two Apple IMac desktops, 2 Apple laptops, 3 IPads and 4 Iphones in our family.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iMac? What have you tried so far?

I can’t tell you the operating system on the PC since it is my son’s and he’s still in school.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

According to IYOGI, some rogue sotware has apparently gotten into my son’s PC which provide hackers access to his computer and through what they define as our “home network” it’s also gotten into my Apple IMAC in my office. They say that our online banking accounts are in danger of being hacked.

3/28/2018
Russell H., Long-time Computer Expert

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your computer support question.

IYogi is an existing computer tech support company, India-based I think, which has been around for years. It's not some very small-time venue-hopping scam at all.

On the other hand, perusing these articles could be instructive for sure:

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/tech-news/Indian-IT-company-iYogi-sued-by-US-state-for-illegal-business-practices/articleshow/50228620.cms

or

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35120932

or

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/washington-state-sues-iyogi-alleges-tech-support-scam/

and as for making the Big Sell for that much money, it's absurd. Good (and not underpriced) security software for your computer should cost no more than $120 a year, at most. E.g. McAfee LiveSafe (Anti-Virus and Internet Security) or Symantec ("Norton") security software, the two biggest names possibly, that do charge real money... but not more than what I have quoted, for a 1-year subscription for one computer.

Meanwhile, do not use your bank accounts on those computers - in case the warning is correct.

You may need to reinstall Windows on those computers, invest in better protection that should have kept that form happening, etc. A sensible course would more or less go in that direction, under the circumstances, even if the warning is genuinely based and not 'scare tactics' - which I cannot tell either way at this point, and am not saying it is, or that it isn't. I'm just stating that the pricing is absurdly high for even such a situation, and I regret having to say it.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Dear Russell,If you securely connected to my Apple IMAC desktop could you determine whether rogue software or malware is present on my system and how it can be removed?Curtis Neumann
I would like you to securely connect to my Apple IMAC tomorrow. I’m about to go to sleep as it’s late. I could work with you at about 11:00 AM california time. Could you call me at(###) ###-####tomorrow so we can set up a time?

I think that, since I assumed you had a Windows PC, I am not really suited to your request, I regret to have to say. I have Opted Out, in favor of another Expert in this category - after recommending that your case be switched to the Mac or Apple category. I hope that helps. Have a good day.

Dustin, Mac Support Specialist

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

I can work on both macs, and pcs. Let me know ahead of time what time you want to connect, and what time zone you are in, thank you.

Dustin S

I’m in the Pacific time zone. Could we connect at 1:00 pm?

Send me a message when you are ready.

Dustin S

I’m ready for you to connect to my Apple desktop.

To get started with the screen sharing session, please go to the link below and download the free program, teamviewer

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/mac/

Once downloaded, install the program.. And then run the teamviewer program.. Leave the program on screen..

Inside the teamviewer program it should give you a connection code, and a password.

Please send me both codes here in a reply, and I will be able to connect to you and help you on screen.

If you run into any issues, please let me know.

Dustin S.

Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
I’ve downloaded team viewer but don’t see a button which runs it.
Do I press see it in action?
The screen says that I have to spend $49 minimum on this just to connect with you. Thought this would cost $39.
Dustin,Can you help?
Ok it says “free”, but can’t figure out how to proceed. Anyway you could call me at(###) ###-####
There is no connection code to be found. Help! This is frustrating.
Phone call session started

You have to first download temaviewer.

Then, you have to open your downloads, and double click the teamviewer.dmg file to install the app.

Then, you have to go to your applications folder, and click and launch the actual teamviewer app.

then, you will see your code and password ***** the left side of teamviewer. Send them to me here please, thank you.

Dustin S

I’ve done what you said but the app doesn’t show up in my applications folder

Is it showing in your downloads folder?

Dustin,Now that I found it I installed it successfully. Can I put the “installer” in the trash
Dustin,This has taken so much time that I now must pick up my son from school. I’ll be back in front of my computer in about 45 minutes. I have the ID & pswd now. Shall I send them when I return or now?
Dustin,Here are the TeamViewer no’s.ID###-##-####Pswd: rd434r

Connected.

Dustin,I am at my desk. I have given you my ID & pswd for teamviewer. Can we proceed?Curtis Neumann
I have submitted my question before. Don’t you still have it?
Will someone ever respond?
Now that we’ve loaded TeamViewer I don’t think a telephone call is necessary but I do need help to see if my computer has been corrupted and if so what can be done about it.

Hi Curtis, let me know when you will be available to work on this.

Dustin S