Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I want to export my iPhone photos to my Mac Desktop, so that…

I want to export...

I want to export my iPhone photos to my Mac Desktop, so that there are no photos on my phone for a trip I am taking in a week.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Mac? What about your iPhone?

MacOs High Sierra version 10.13.3

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried with your Mac?

I have asked the question and had no answer whatsoever, you are the first to offer help?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No, that is all have need to do. I am not tech savvy but I have my phone plugged in to my desk top and am ready to go...

How much extra will it cost to securely connect me and fix this?
3/27/2018
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

On your Mac, open the Photos app either from the dock or from Applications folder. In Photos app, select your iPhone and this will load all your photos. Then you can select them and import.

Refer this article here --> https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201302

Another option is, open Image Capture from Applications folder, select your iPhone under Devices, select your photos and click Import. Make sure your iPhone's screen is unlocked.

If you are using iCloud Photo Library, then you may not be able to import properly as they are stored on iCloud. On your iPhone, open Settings > your name > iCloud > Photos.

Is iCloud Photo Library enabled there? If so, then you don't need to import them to your Mac. Just enable "Optimize iPhone Storage" there and all original copy will be saved online and only a low resolution or small size copy will be saved on your iPhone taking a little space. When you do this, you don't even have to delete photos from your iPhone as optimize storage will give you enough space.

If iCloud Photo Library isn't enabled, then you can do the above steps to import them to your Mac. Once they are imported to your Mac, you can delete them from your iPhone and also make sure you delete them from "Recently Deleted" album as well.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead of rating, please let me know by replying in here and I will stay with you and try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Ashik, Mac Technician
Thank you Ashik for your answer, it was very clear. I have my photos stored in I-cloud so I won't worry about too much storage being used up. I appreciate your help. Many thanks. Very reassuring answer.

You're welcome. Make sure you enable "Optimize iPhone Storage" option under iCloud > Photos, so these photos won't be stored locally in original size on the iPhone taking its space. Also, don't delete them from your iPhone as this will delete them from iCloud as well. You don't have to delete any photos though. It is important to have the Optimize Storage Option enabled.

And make sure you have enough space on your iCloud. You can upgrade the package of iCloud to store more contents. See here --> https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201318

Also, you should download a local copy to your Mac via Image Capture or Photos app to have an extra backup.