Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have an IMAC on wifi. I also have an Onkyo stereo

I have an IMAC...

I have an IMAC on wifi. I also have an Onkyo stereo receiver(no wifi) Can I stream pandora to the stereo? what would i need to make it happen?

Technician's Assistant: Does your network appear in the Wi-Fi list on your Apple device?

Yes, I use apple wifi router and extension routers

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are solid and which are blinking on your Apple?

No lights on the iMac. Solid green on Airport express. I have the receive hard wired to an extension so that i can play iTunes through stereo

3/27/2018
Jeffrey B

Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today. Lets get started!

I'm so sorry for the extended wait time. Do you still need assistance with your issue?

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

Do you have my original question and what more info do you need?

Understood.

What is the model of the Onkyo receiver?

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

TX-sr504
Are u still there

Understood.

Yes, I am here.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

I do not want Secure Remote assistance. Just need to know what I have to do to get Pandora from my mac to Stereo for playing
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

There are several options here. You can buy the Google Chromecast Audio device, then connect the Stereo input to the Chromecast Audio Device (you may need to use Aux Auxilary cable). This will you stream audio contents from your Mac via Chrome app, from your iPhone/iPad using Google Home app or from Android phones/tablets.

To stream Pandora from Mac using Chromecast, you need to download Chome, open Pandora website on Chrome and then it will let you stream audio. You can buy it here --> https://store.google.com/product/chromecast_audio

With this setup, you can stream Mac, PC, Android and iOS via WiFi network.

Another option is, buy a bluetooth receiver, then connect it to the stereo receiver. Then you can connect to this stereo directly from your Mac or any device as a Bluetooth device. It will work as a Bluetooth device.

See here --> https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetooth-Receiver-Streaming-Hands-free/dp/B008AGQMQC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1522171940&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=bluetooth+aux&psc=1

You may need these cables depending up on the choice of your device and input ports on the sterio --> https://www.amazon.com/Insten-3-5mm-Auxiliary-Cable-Cord/dp/B0042DIZTE

and/or this cable --> https://www.amazon.in/3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Adapter-Female/dp/B000I23TTE

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead of rating, please let me know by replying in here and I will stay with you and try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

The blue tooth option is not workable as the Mac is upstairs and the Stereo receiver is down stairs. From what you are saying there is not way to go through my current wifi network. I have an extension airport extreme or express plugged in the stereo now for playing iTunes. If so, then I will have to get the chrome google device and plug in to another input on receiver .. Is that the best solution?

Chromecast Audio is the best option if you would like streaming from all your devices expecially if you use non Apple devices.

If it is just from the Mac, and if you connected to the sterio from AirPort (i.e Airplay), then you can utilize the Mac's Airplay feature.

Hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on the Volume icon at the top bar and it will show Airplay speakers. Can you select them from there?

Or you can use the apps like Airfoil. See here --> https://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

If you are using Mac OS X Mountain Lion or later, then you can direct entire sound from Mac to the Airplay speakers (connected to the Airport). Hold down Option key, click on the sound/volume icon at the top bar and select the Airplay speaker. Does it work for you?

The airport device is plugged Directly in to the back of the Stereo on the tape input jack. This is how i listen to I tunes. I have El Capitan. I have nothing but Apple devices -- iPad and iPhones. So, if i follow your directions then I should be able to play Padora via iMac through receiver, right?

Yes, just hold down Option key on keyboard, click on the Volume/sound icon at the top bar next to bluetooth, WiFi etc icon and click the Airport device that is connected to the sterio.

Remember, this will direct all sound from the Mac to the Airport from the internal speaker. You can change it to internal speaker same way.

Just checking. Is it working?

It works! How ever if used the chrome app solution, would i lose the internal speakers on my iMac

No, but Chromecast will only allow you to stream from Chrome browser (so you need to open Pandora website on Chrome browser and then you will see a Cast button on the browser automatically, when it detect the Chromecast device). Then it will let you direct all sounds from the Chrome app to Chromecast and your Mac will still continue to play other sounds in internal speaker)

The Chromecast is a great solution if you would like to stream from mobile phones, tablets etc and it support a wide variety of apps. See here --> http://chromecast.com/audioapps

You probably don't need Chromecast since the Mac itself allow you to play via AirPlay using the above method.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Excellent Service or 5 stars and click Submit at the top. Then only I will get credit for helping you and excellent rating help me here.

Best Regards,

i am very satisfied with your answers. one way i lose internal speakers the other way I don't. So, I can now decide. where do i rate your service responses

You are switching the speakers. Basically, if you want to stream to your stereo, you can switch it using the Option key and clicking on sound button method. You can always switch it back and forth. It may not allow you to use both speakers at the same time.

You can rate me at the top of this website. Select the stars and click Submit button.

Ashik, Mac Technician
I have rated you 5 stars thanks goodby

Thank you