Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My husband’s iPhone stopped working. They sent it out for…

Customer Question
My husband’s iPhone stopped...

My husband’s iPhone stopped working. They sent it out for repairs. I just got it back and I need help setting it up. Can you call me(###) ###-####and walk me through it?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iPhone?

How do I check it on his phone?

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. How long has this been going on with your iPhone? What have you tried so far?

It wasn’t turning on. I took it to Apple Store. They sent it off for repairs. I just received it in the mail today.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that’s about it... I just need help setting it up again..

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
3/26/2018
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Apple Consultant replied 4 months ago
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! I will work to provide accurate advice. Give me a minute to read your submission.

If Secure Remote Assistance is offered, please ignore it.

Are you having a particularly problem when setting it up?

Clicked on set up manually but it said can’t connect to Apple Server. I tried connecting to wi-fi and my PW isn’t working...

What model of iPhone is this?

6s, bought 6 mos. ago. He doesn’t have internet package. Only phone and texting.

Thanks, ***** ***** being called away from the desk unexpectedly and will opt out so another expert can handle this question. When one becomes available, they will contact you.

Please do not reply back until you hear from them as it may delay the transition.

Thanks and good luck!

Mac Support Specialist: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 4 months ago
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro

Hello! You will definitely need to connect to WiFi in order to re-activate the iPhone, OR you can activate your iPhone using iTunes on your computer:

1. Open iTunes on your computer. With the cable that came with your iPhone, connect your iPhone to your computer.
  2. Wait while iTunes detects and activates your iPhone:
    • If iTunes shows, "Set up as New" or "Restore from Backup," it means that iTunes activated your iPhone.

I would expect this step to be the only hiccup you'll encounter, and then only really because of the lack of a data plan through your mobile carrier (although, per above, you can still activate your iPhone via a different method). If you do run into any other issues, though, please let us know!

I’ll give it a try and be in touch in a bit..

Great! I'll be here in case you need me.

Much appreciated!
When prompted, I select "set-up as new iphone" correct? I don't want all of my stuff syncing to my husbands phone. His needs to be clean and start fresh. He only had about 10 photos and 20 contacts on it originally. I can recreate his contacts and the photos don't matter. Set-up as new iphone?

Correct!

The phone is plugged into my computer. I tried "set-up as new iphone" earlier and nothing happened. I'm still getting error message on phone "cannot connect to Apple server". Is there any way you can get this phone up and running for me remotely? Or, I can call my IT guy to come over if I have to.

I'm afraid our software tools don't allow us to remotely connect to mobile devices. However, we can try to restore the iPhone now that it's connected through iTunes and see if that helps:

1. Connect your iPhone to the computer and open iTunes.
  2. Make sure your iPhone is selected from the left menu in iTunes.
  3. Click the Restore button in the center of the iTunes Summary tab.
  4. iTunes will ask if you're ready to Restore the iPhone, this will wipe all of your data and settings from the device. Click Restore.
  5. iTunes will download, prepare and restore the software on your iPhone. Do not unplug the iPhone from the computer during this process!
  6. When finished, iTunes will ask if you want to restore from backup. Choose "Set up as a new iPhone" to start fresh with factory settings.
  7. Enter a name for your iPhone and the process is complete.
I'm not seeing an itunes summary tab.
I found it. I hadn't clicked the proper icon to connect to the phone. I THINK I'm getting somewhere now. :)

Awesome! I'm still here for anything you need!

Yes, it can take quite awhile. Depending on your internet speed, it could take from 15 mins to several hours for the software to download. If it's getting late where you are, would you like to schedule a time for us to check in tomorrow evening and see how things went? Otherwise, I'm here as long as you need. :-)

OK, I'll just leave it as-is for now and hope it's doing it's "thing". I'm in Hawaii, so it's only 4:45pm here. I'd love to get this resolved tonight if at all possible. I guess we shall see ... :)

I'll be here...jealous that you're in Hawaii. ;-)

I'll be stepping away for just a bit, but will be back shortly!

How are things progressing?

The software download seemed to complete but now I’m still be prompted on phone grim “hello” “hola” screen, select English, country USA. Then I get a screen that says Quick Start ... or Set Up Manually. And I’m stuck here. It won’t let me set-up manually and not sure what else to do to move past this screen.

When you try to click the "set up manually" option, what happens?

Says cannot connect to Apple server

I am so sorry, but I am out of ideas as to why this iPhone is still refusing to activate. I am going to re-open your question to our network of experts in order to invite some more opinions re: next steps.

Thank you Eric. It may just be me! In the meantime I’m going to contact my IT guy and see if he can come take a look in the next couple of days. My guess is he can work through it...
Mac Support Specialist: Richard, Apple Software Engineer replied 4 months ago
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Hi there

Do you still need assistance with this?

Please let me know

Thank you

My IT guy is coming over tonight to see if he can figure it out.

ok, let me know if you need help please

Thank you Richard. My IT guy got it set-up for me. :)

You are welcome and thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen then submit before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.