Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My ipad is locked and can not remember the code. Do you have…

Customer Question
My ipad is locked...

My ipad is locked and can not remember the code. Do you have a way to open the ipad without returning it to the original settings?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

My son had the ipad and put in random numbers today. I have tried different combinations but I keep locking up the ipad

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

No where would I find that

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No thank you for your help

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mac
3/26/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Cris, Mac Specialist replied 3 months ago
Cris
Cris, Mac Specialist

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com I am Cris and will be glad to assist you.

Unfortunately no, there is no viable option to remove the passcode if you do not know it. That would violate Apple privacy policies and the purpose of the passcode.

Do you backup the iPad to iCloud?

I think so

You can then restore the iPad which is done by putting the iPad into recovery mode and using iTunes. I can provide you the instructions. Do you know which iPad model you have?

No I am on iCloud and nothing is backup��

You can continue to attempt the passcode to the iPad. It will eventually disable after multiple failed attempts.

But like I mentioned the only thing you can do to get it going w/o the passcode is to reset through iTunes.

Ok I am trying but I have iTunes set up on my computer but it isn’t pulling up this ipad

Correct, when there is passcode on the iPad it will not pull up until the passcode is entered. That is why the iPad has to be put into recovery mode into order to reset. I will provide you the instructions.

1. You will need to have latest version of iTunes installed on a PC. You can download it from iTunes.com
  2. After you have installed iTunes open the application on your PC.
  3. Turn off the iPad by holding the on/off button at the top. Hold until slide to power off appears then turn off.
  4. Then hold the on/off button and home button down together at the same time. Do not let go until you see the iTunes logo at the bottom of the iPad. You may have to hold both button for up to 1 minute.
  5. When the logo comes up, plug the iPad to the PC with iTunes already open.
  6. On the iTunes screen you will get a prompt to restore, click restore.
  7. That will restore the phone to factory settings.
  8. After it completes then finish the setup of the iPad.

Let me know the outcome and if you have any further questions. Please take a moment to rate my service and submit at the top.

How did you make out?

I wasn’t successful. Need to put the kids to beds. Will deal it with it tomorrow

OK, you can send me any message here if you have any questions.

Thank you

Hi, I wanted to follow up with you and see how did you make out? Any luck?