Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Id won't work and neither will my password (which I forgot)

Customer Question
Id won't work and...

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

Macbook Pro

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook Pro?

Whatever the latest version is

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. How long has this been going on with your MacBook Pro? What have you tried so far?

It just started now

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mac
3/27/2018
Mac Support Specialist: syseng, Systems Engineer replied 3 months ago
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Turn off your Mac (choose Apple > Shut Down).
Press the power button while holding down Command-R. The Mac will boot into Recovery mode. When you see the load bar appear you can let go of the keys. It may take a few minutes to load.
Select Disk Utility and press Continue.
Choose Utilities > Terminal.
Enter resetpassword (all one word, lowercase letters) and press Return
Select the volume containing the account (normally this will be your Main hard drive).
Choose the account to change with Select the User Account.
Enter a new password ***** re-enter it into the password *****
Enter a new password ***** related to the password.
Click Save.
A warning will appear that the password ***** changed, but not the Keychain Password. Click OK.
Click Apple > Shut Down.
Now start up the Mac. You can login using the new password.

Do you still need assistance?