Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I cannot get my MacBook Pro to start up. I don't quite

I cannot get my...

I cannot get my MacBook Pro to start up

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook Pro?

I don't quite understand the question

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your MacBook Pro? What have you tried so far?

This is the first time this has happened

3/26/2018
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! I will work to provide accurate advice. Give me a minute to read your submission.

If Secure Remote Assistance is offered, please ignore it.

Does the MBP power on? If so, how far does it get before stopping?

I am 67 years old and I use my laptop for creating documents. I am a deacon for the Catholic Church so I do a lot or researching for material for creating a homily. Just the basic ordinary uses. To be honest with you I don't really know much about the laptop and it's functions or what it can do. I've had this laptop for about 3 years.

Ok, when you try to turn it on - do you see anything on the screen at all?

No nothing but I have an external drive for scan disks and the lights come on when I push the power button

Ok,

Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time. Hold them for a couple of seconds.

Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

Press the power button to turn on the Mac and see if it works.

Okay it’s up and running. What happened?

Great, glad to hear it.

It is likely that the hardware that controls "power management" temporarily locked up and was not doing it's job. The keyboard commands I gave you "reset" that feature.

Thanks John you made my day. As we say in Hawaii. “MAHALO”. which means thank-you and may you have a great day����

Thanks!! You are very welcome!

When the current question has been answered to your satisfaction, please remember to rate my personal assistance accordingly when you get a moment. However, if you have any further questions on this topic, please let me know at any time.

John T. F., Apple Consultant