Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

A pop up appeared on the screen of my Mac book pro saying I…

Customer Question
A pop up appeared...

A pop up appeared on the screen of my Mac book pro saying I had a virus. My computer is locked up

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook Pro?

Os sierra I cannot access the informatiom

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Only what to dp

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mac
3/26/2018
Mac Support Specialist: ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast replied 3 months ago
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you with this!

These pop-up messages are NOT legitimate. This is a scam that is going around right now where you will encounter a message saying that your computer has been hacked or you have a virus or something along those lines and that you need to call a number to have the problem fixed. The whole thing just a ploy to get money from you.

The way it works is that small tech companies will pay third-party advertisers to insert their phone numbers into these pop up messages. So what you're actually seeing is a carefully crafted advertisement. If you called the number you'd talk to someone (probably with a foreign accent) who will ask to connect to your computer and then will try to sell you on some kind of support services you don't actually need.

Sometimes these companies will claim to be Apple or Microsoft some other well known company. This is always a lie.

If you have a pop-up on the screen and it won't let you close it out then you can just hold down the power button on your computer for 5 to 10 seconds to do a hard shutdown. Once you restart your computer the message should be gone.

If you have any other questions on this, just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

NOTE: If you have no further questions, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS or better so that I receive credit for assisting you. Just click to rate.