Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have forgotten my password to enter the computer when

Customer Question
I have forgotten my...

I have forgotten my password ***** enter the computer when first turned on.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

Today

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

My husband did it and he's not sure how he did it!

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I understand that if I unlock Safari that I can get to all my passwords which would be great as many are on auto and I am trying to make a list of all passwords to bring them up to date

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
3/25/2018
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Apple Consultant replied 4 months ago
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! I will work to provide accurate advice. Give me a minute to read your submission.

If Secure Remote Assistance is offered, please ignore it.

Safari does use a feature on your Mac called a keychain that stores passwords.

HOWEVER, the keychain is locked by the same password ***** you use to sign into your Mac. If you have forgotten that password ***** have to reset it then you may lose access to your keychain and have to start from scratch.

1) Shutdown your Mac.

2) Power it back on and quickly press and hold the “OPTION” key at boot until the boot menu appears showing the hard drive volumes in your Mac. (Alternative: If that doesn’t work - Restart, hold COMMAND + R keys until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator. If neither of those work, try COMMAND + R + OPTION. - and skip step 3)

3) Select the “Recovery" volume.

4) Wait for “macOS/OS X Utilities” screen to appear (DO NOT RE-INSTALL)

You should see a menubar at the very top of your display. Choose the “Utilities” option in that menubar, then select “Terminal” from the drop down menu.

5) Type the following at the prompt inside the new terminal window that opens:

resetpassword

and press ‘Return’ on your keyboard.

6) Select the “Macintosh HD” volume and the user account. To change the password, type it in both places, and a hint, then click the ‘Save’ button.

NOTE: if the screen looks different than described above and instead offers 3 choices (forgot password.

password ***** work when logging in, my keyboard isn't working when typing my password *****) then choose “Forgot password” and follow along to reset it…

6) Restart your Mac and, hopefully, login with the ability to use the new password.

NOTE: After resetting your password ***** logging back in to your account, you might see an alert that the system was unable to unlock your login keychain. This is expected, because the passwords for your user account and login keychain no longer match. You will have to click the Create New Keychain button in the alert to start a new keychain if you do not have the password.

If you still have concerns, don’t negatively rate my answer, just reply back and let me know. I'll be happy to advise you further. When finished, please give a positive rating so I can be credited for my assistance. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,

I’m so sorry, I had just sent the $5,
When my husband got home and said he wanted to look at the problem and see if he could figure it out. He did and I neglected to get back to you.
My Apologies
J

That's quite alright! I'm glad to hear you got it resolved.

However, if you have any further questions on this topic, please let me know at any time.