Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My mini has been off for a few days and when i turned it on…

My mini has been...

My mini has been off for a few days and when i turned it on all i get after 15minutes is the apple and a full status bar. What can i do?

Technician's Assistant: What kind of Apple device do you have? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Mini and current OS.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Apple device? What have you tried so far?

Just today tried to restart using power switch.

3/25/2018
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! I will work to provide accurate advice. Give me a minute to read your submission.

If Secure Remote Assistance is offered, please ignore it.

OK, ready.

First, let’s attempt resolving this issue with your Apple device by trying a hard reset, then proceed from there if that does not resolve the problem:

Disconnect the device from it's cord, if plugged in.

Press and hold your Sleep/Wake button (on the top right) and Home button (on the front) simultaneously for about 10 seconds, or until you see an Apple logo.

The next thing you should see after the Apple logo is the lock or home screen a few minutes later.

If the above does not work, please let me know.

Thanks,

This is a mini. Same result after unplugging.

It sounds like either the software on your iPad has crashed or a mechanical failure has occurred. In most cases it is the former.

The following procedure is a special device firmware update mode. It will erase your Apple device, remove the passcode, and then re-sync user data once it is done (provided you have a backup of some kind).

1) Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer before attempting this:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

(Mac users can run System Preferences > “App Store” ( or Software Update for older OS X releases) > "Check now" to get the latest version for their system in most cases.)

2) Open iTunes on your computer and connect the Apple device directly to it (using the charging cable that came with it from Apple)

3) Turn off the Apple device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device completely shuts off).

4) Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

5) Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

6) iTunes should alert you it’s detected a device in recovery mode, click OK and continue along for the restore.

Note: it may ask whether you wish to restore a backup from iTunes or from iCloud. You should use which ever has the latest backup of your personal data.

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.

If you still have concerns, don’t negatively rate my answer, just reply back and let me know. I'll be happy to advise you further. When finished, please give a positive rating so I can be credited for my assistance. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,

Again, this is a Mac mini we are troubleshooting, not an iPad.

Thanks, ***** ***** mentioned "mini" up until now which is also an iPad.

Power off your Mac.

Restart and, immediately, press and hold the “OPTION” (or “Alt”) key at boot until the boot menu appears.

Then, select the “Recovery" volume.

(Alternative: If the above doesn’t work… Restart, hold COMMAND + R keys until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator. If neither of those work, try COMMAND + R + OPT.)

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL)

Choose Disk Utility from the available options.

In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar (usually "Macintosh HD").

Then, Click “First Aid“.Next, click “Run”, if requested. (You may need to click “Mount” first if First Aid is not highlighted.)

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK. Then you can click “Done” if requested.

Once the process has completed, choose “Disk Utility” > “Quit Disk Utility” in the menu bar at the top of the display.

Then, restart your Mac and it should *hopefully* boot back into your normal Desktop.

Nothing worked. Advice appreciated.

How far did you get with the previous instructions?

John T. F., Apple Consultant