Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I did an update a couple of months ago to macOS high

Customer Question
I did an update...

I did an update a couple of months ago to macOS high sierra....I had first backed up everything on an external drive thru time machine. When the update was finished, I can't access my iPhoto library. I just plugged in my external drive and can't figure out how to find these photos. I'm not computer savvy, so I'm lost. I can use a computer for day to day functions, but all this other stuff is way beyond what I know. HELP me find my photos, please!

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

I don't remember, sorry!

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

Never heard of it...reset password ***** iPhoto?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I'm not really computer savvy...so they will be working with a novice, but I can follow directions!!!

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mac
3/24/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 3 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

From what version did you upgrade?

I don't remember...I'm looking for when I purchased this computer....it was the only upgrade I had done....I'll get right back to you
I purchased this new late 2011...so whatever was the latest system then
Hello, are you there?????
Are you coming back???? Or did I just get scammed

Sorry for the delay. I'm here

Are u able to help me or not

Yes, writing the answer

The problem is, Apple has replaced iPhoto with a new application called Photos app from OS X 10.10.3 onwards. You can open Photos app from Applications folder. Photos app does support your old iPhoto library. So you will be able to open Photos and see all the photos that were in iPhoto.

Open Applications folder and you will find the Photos icon (a flower like icon). Open it and it will import your iPhoto Library automatically.

If it doesn't, then close Photos. Hold down Option key on your keyboard and open Photo. Select Choose Library, then from the list of library select iPhoto Library and choose it. This will migrate the iPhoto Library to Photos.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead of rating, please let me know by replying in here and I will stay with you and try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

ok

Let me know how it goes

It's updating library now...it seems I did this before and it didn't work. However, I didn't know about the option key.
It looks like it's going to be awhile before it updates. I tried to close out of it and I cannot. I have to wait. This happened before, it get half through uploading then it gives me a message to close it.

The time will depend upon the size of your library. What is the size of your library?

I just got a pop up saying the library "photos library" was not created completely

Do you have enough space on your Mac ?

How would I know

Check the available storage from Apple > About This Mac > Storage

It says on anout my Mac, that I have 384.33GB available on 498.88gb

What is the size of your iPhoto Library?

Select the iPhoto Library, press Command and I and this will bring Get Info. You can see the size there

253 KB

That is strange. Are you checking teh size of iPhoto Library and not Photos Library?

It's iPhoto library...this is additional info: 242,854 bytes (256 KB on disk)..
I don't know what else to send you
However, I see only one picture in my library

253 KB means none of your photos are there. 1024KB = 1MB

1024MB= 1GB

A photo's size is more than 1 MB

So your library is supposed to be several GBs in size.

Open Time Machine and do you see your iPhoto Library there with bigger size?

It says zero KB

Check a backup point where it was working, that is prior to the upgrade. If you don't know how to check Time Machine and check through time, see this article --> http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/07/11/how-view-and-restore-specific-files-time-machine/

or see this video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bcf54aRBPk

I'm sorry this is taking so long I was interrupted and now trying to view the links you sent me

Make sure you restore the iPhoto Library from a working date which is bigger in size

I'm going to try

Ok

I just check my checking account and found just answer charged me an additional $25.00 that I have no idea why...I didn't request anything other than my original question. I would now like a full refund of the original $5. And the additional $25. I was billed. Nothing worked for me to fix my problem.
I will be glad to rate you AFTER I receive a refund. I'm furious about the additional billing!!!!

Please contact the customer support at***@******.*** and they will do the full refund.

Please don't rate the answer anything to process refund,

Best Regards,

Please don't rate the answer anything to process refund.

Best Regards,