Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

When I turned on my computer the screen was different. There…

Customer Question
When I turned on...

When I turned on my computer the screen was different. There was a butterfly and a request for my password. And there was a message about switching to another user. Does that sound strange? And I need help changing my password *****

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

IMAC

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iMac?

How can I find that?

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. How long has this been going on with your iMac? What have you tried so far?

This just happened today. I put in a password (several) and finally one worked. Then I tried the same password ***** update my computer and the password ***** not work.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Just those two things. Is it unusual for the butterfly to come up on the screen with a request for my password ***** a message about switching users AND help with a new password,

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Mac
3/24/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 26 days ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

It sounds like you have more than 1 account on your Mac. Also, somehow you got logged out from your Mac and you need to enter your admin/login password ***** login to your account. It is the password ***** setup when you setup the Mac for first time.

Follow the steps below to reset the password.

Turn off your Mac by holding down the Power button for 5-10 seconds.

Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 10 seconds.

This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS Utilities” menu.

Click on the “Utilities” menu in top bar and select “Terminal".

In Terminal, type (without space)--> resetpassword

Press return. This will bring Reset Password ***** Select the hard disk at top column,select the user account from the drop down under it, confirm the user account and then change password ***** Save. Then click on the Apple icon and select Shutdown.

Turn it back on. After restarting, if you get any message about Keychain then click Create New Keychain.

If you are still getting keychain error, then reset the keychain access database. Follow the steps below to reset Keychain;

Go to System Preferences > iCloud and click Sign Out. If asked to keep or delete stuffs, click Keep. Then in Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu at the top bar and select Library. This will open Library folder. Trash Keychain folder in there and restart your Mac.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead of rating, please let me know by replying in here and I will stay with you and try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I got to the reset password ***** But then I don't know where the hard disk is to select it.
Don't you see the hard drive icon at the top?
See this article https://coolestguidesontheplanet.com/reset-forgotten-admin-password-mac-osx/
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I went to the reset password ***** I do not see a hard disk or a hard drive icon at the top. At the top left of my screen it says, Terminal, Shell, View, Window and Help. The only thing close to what you said is under Shell, hard reset. I do not know where a hard disk or a hard dive icon at the top is.
However there is an American flag at the top right corner. Is that unusual?
Did you see the article above ?
https://coolestguidesontheplanet.com/reset-forgotten-admin-password-mac-osx/
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I read the article and I saw the Macintosh HD icon. However, on my computer the screen is black around the terminal and reset password ***** There is no Macintosh HD icon.

What version of macOS are you using ?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
The operating system is OSXEL Capitan.

Can you take photo of your Mac's screen and upload the photo here?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I don't know how to upload a photo. It is MacOS Sierra. Bought in 2011. I hope that helps. I see the Macintosh HD icon you are talking about on my computer screen as I write this. It's just the background screen goes black when I have the reset passwords screen open and I can no longer see the icon to choose it.

Can you restart your Mac and try again?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I tried again. Every time I try the same thing happens. I get to the reset password ***** but everything around it in the background is black and the Macintosh HD icon cannot be seen and so cannot be chosen.

We can boot your Mac to a special mode called Single User Mode. Then type some commands/texts there which will force your Mac to bring the new account setup screen. So you can setup a brand new admin account and then use that account to reset the password ***** your original account. This might seem a little difficult, but it is actually easy.

Follow the steps below to create a new User Account in Single User Mode.

• Turn off/shut down your Mac.

• Turn it on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode

• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Administrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

(If it returns any errors after any command above, then you are entering the commands incorrectly. Make sure you enter it correctly)

When you enter last command and press return, the Mac will shut down. So turn it back on, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account (when creating the account, if you're asked to transfer information, select Don't transfer)

Login to new account. Then in new account (which will be blank), go to System Preferences > Users & Groups, select your old account and change/reset the password. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Going to single user mode is a good idea. I am going to switch to secure remote assistance so you can do this. Is that okay?

Secure remote will not work in single user mode or recovery mode. So you need to do it yourself.

Commands in detail if needed

mount<press space>-uw<press space>/<press enter/return>

rm<press space>/var/db/.AppleSetupDone<press enter/return>

shutdown<press space>-h<press space>now<press enter/return>

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I don't understand what you just wrote. I'm going back to the direction before that.
We can boot your Mac to a special mode called Single User Mode. Then type some commands/texts there which will force your Mac to bring the new account setup screen. So you can setup a brand new admin account and then use that account to reset the password ***** your original account. This might seem a little difficult, but it is actually easy. Follow the steps below to create a new User Account in Single User Mode. • Turn off/shut down your Mac.• Turn it on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Administrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc mount -uw /rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDoneshutdown -h now (If it returns any errors after any command above, then you are entering the commands incorrectly. Make sure you enter it correctly) When you enter last command and press return, the Mac will shut down. So turn it back on, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account (when creating the account, if you're asked to transfer information, select Don't transfer) Login to new account. Then in new account (which will be blank), go to System Preferences > Users & Groups, select your old account and change/reset the password. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account. And the following are to understand the spaces or when to press return key, so you write the commands correctly mount<press space>-uw<press space>/<press enter/return>rm<press space>/var/db/.AppleSetupDone<press enter/return>shutdown<press space>-h<press space>now<press enter/return>
Ashik, Mac Technician