Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Will a seagate expansion desktop drive for a pc work on a…

Customer Question
Will a seagate expansion...

Will a seagate expansion desktop drive for a pc work on a Mac ? I bought the wrong seagate

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Mac?

Mac OS high Sierra 10.13.3

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Mac?

I tried to install it but I got a "the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mac
3/24/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 1 month ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Yes, you just need to reformat it for Mac.

Connect the external drive to your Mac. Then go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your external hard drive in the left column. Under Erase tab, select Mac OS Journaled / Extended

Then click the Erase button and it will be formatted for Mac.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead of rating, please let me know by replying in here and I will stay with you and try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Erase process has failed .thats all it said

Restart your Mac. Connect it to another USB port and then try erasing it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Erase failed again. It says “unmounting disk “ “mediakit reports not enough space on device for requested operation

That means this is a hardware issue with the hard drive. Since you got that message, you shouldn't even attempt to fix it. You can take it back to the storage and get it replaced without any cost. You don't have to buy the Mac. You can buy the Windows version and erase it using the above instructions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I bought it on line from amazon. Can I sent it back for a refund
?

That depends up on the refund policy of Amazon. You need to contact Amazon. You can contact them here --> https://www.amazon.com/help/customer/contact-us

If no refund is provided, you can still get a replacement without any cost

It doesn't matter whether you buy a Mac or Windows version, as both will work on your Mac.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks

No problem

Ashik, Mac Technician